Annoying Static humming

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crosh, May 26, 2001.

1. A have a rather worrying problem with my amp, it's begun making a kinda static 'humming and fuzz' noise when i play through it. I still get the bass signal, but it has this real messy crackle to it.

My amp is a 60w Laney combo, i've checked my leads and they seem to be fine, i've removed pedals from the equation and it still makes that noise.

I'm a bit worried that my amp may be knackered - as i can't afford to replace it and have gigs to do ! Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this ? I sounds like a rattle in the casing a bit, but i've checked and can't find the source of the problem
  2. It could be a number of things. First thing to try is plugging it through another speaker and seeing if it sounds good or bad. Cause it may be a blown speaker. After that, you know if it truly is in the amp. At that point, someone who knows elecronics repair has to get into the amp guts. Could be a blown capacitor, could be a broken solder joint, almost anything.

Just do as much as you can to narrow down the problem. Try a different cable, different bass, different speaker cab. See if it still does it with all the above swapped, trying each one at a time (only one thing changed from the original setup per test).

3. Thanks for your help, luckily i've just spent a 3 hour 'surgery' with it, and came to the bottom of the problem ;

Blow Speaker Coil!!!

I've borrowed a speaker for my gig on friday, and i'm looking to buy a replacement. I guess my next thread will be "whats a good 12" speaker cone ?"!!

Cheers again