1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Annoying, stupid, idiot guitarists.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Nooco, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nooco

Nooco

May 4, 2006
    Finland
    To all bassists: Guitarists and people who do not play any instruments ARE ALL DUMB IDIOTS.

I hate to hear from everyone like "Bassist are dumb" "bass is boring instrument" "bass can't be heard". I am sick of it.

First - my mate who is guitarist keeps saying me bassists are dumb, and bass music sounds ugly. And bass is boring and too easy instrument. Well he was at me and we were playing, he tried to play bass, after a moment he was like "The strings are too big, it hurts fingers to play it." and he took the guitar and pick and continued with his totally boring solos.

Well, nowadays I have started slapping like mad, now my mates say that "you have made up a cool style" - I am like ***, my mates really didn't know about slap bass. How can they judge bassists dumb and bass music boring if they have only heard some hard rock bands with bassists playing one single note - if they haven't even heard slap bass before.

Now my guitarist mate can't admit slap bass is good, he keeps saying "You just break your bass" but always when he tries playing bass, he asks me how do I do slapping. That's so ridiculous.

I am so sick of all that bs. Why do people say bass is easier than guitar - I can really say that if you learn to slap bass quickly and all stuff, it is sure as difficult as guitar playing.

Amen.

//Oh almost forgot: usually drummers who can really play drums are nice people :)

Edited by mod - Doing some cleaning.

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Search this forum...you'll see there's lots more people like you.

3. Nooco

Nooco

May 4, 2006
    Finland
    That's why I joined this forum :)

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This says it all.

5. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Because in a bunch of bands, the bass player is often the guy who couldn't play guitar that well and they needed a bass player for the band anyway so now he's a "bass player". Then the guy can't figure out how to play a song without the guitar player showing him, etc.

It puts that idea in guitar players minds.

Then one day he matures as a musician and gets the chance to play with a really good drummer and bass player, and the light goes on and he never - ever says dumb things like that again.

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Haha, people like that should see the look on the faces of non-musos (and musos too come to think of it) when I pull out the 6 string. Usually it goes something like "what the hell is that?" followed by "woah, you can play that thing?". Then I usually end up doing some mindless wanking and hey look, instant bass fanboys :D. Stu Hamm's Country Music is wanktastic yet so comical I've yet to see anyone who won't admit that it's rather impressive. Or with girls I just play the bassline to Scissor Sisters "Filthy Gourgeous" and they go crazy :D. Yeah I guess if you want to beat guitarists, the best way is to learn to out-wank them. With the 6 string (and even when I just had 4 strings) I love to steal guitarist's melody lines and relegate them to chording during a jam, I've put a few egos in their place by doing that. Thank god the guitarist in my instrumental band is like the coolest guy ever. He loves a good bassline and we share out the soloing and melodies. Heck, even the drummer gets his moments in the spotlight.

Oh and another good way if you can play it at all is to pick up a double bass. Some guitarist called me "the f****t who thinks he can play bass" today. Fortunatley I have my 6 string and a double bass at school, man am I gonna take his sorry ass to town. All you have to do is challenge them to try and play bass better than you, they turn up, see you with an upright and run off and cry. I mean I'm hardly a very good double bassist but I can intonate reasonably well and play some half-decent sounding stuff. That's a lot more than most guitarists can.

But yeah honestly, just play the guy under the table, he'll soon loose his ego.

7. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I think we have a winner for "Word Of The Day"!

8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'd much rather out-class anyone than out-wank them.

The truth is that most bassists have more gigs without even looking for them than most guitar players who are real good and actively seeking work. What would you rather do, play more notes or more gigs?

9. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Well.............anger much?

You will always find ignorant people, somehow they seem to be a bit more prolifict in the music community. My main gripe as far as other musicians thus far has to be a keyboardist that I had to work with once.

Basically an egomaniac of the belief that "all you need is keys".

Anywho, thats life.

10. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I've been fortunate enough to not meet any stupid guitarists like this. All of the guitarists I know respect bass for what it is.

Well, except one, but he knows deep down inside that bass doesn't suck.

11. GarethBull

GarethBull

May 4, 2001
    If this is the most annoying thing going on in your life right now, you really don't have much to be worried about.

Comments about how easy/simple bass is don't really say much about the instrument or the people who play it, but those comments say a whole lot about the musical tastes of the people who make those comments, no?

....says me who plays guitar, keyboards and is learning bass. So the comments/jokes about all three instruments apply to me. My only saving grace is that I don't walk with my knuckles dragging on the ground so I'm obviously unqualified to be a drummer. :p

12. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    HA HA:D

13. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    when he says that, you calmy flip him the bird, and say "i quit"...or rather not calmly tell him to **** off, and get in a fight with him where your muscles developed playing a manly instrament end up helping you win...or just tell him "hey, so today, you play bass...and i'll play guitar...you tell me what's harder" and then if he says guitar, do your slap+pop stuff on his guitar and break every string.

14. Ya know... after seeing a thread like this for the four dozenth time, I have to wonder if I'm the only bassist in the world who hasn't ever had a guitar player disrespect me with his abject ignorance.

Most of the guys I've played with have been very cool and appreciative of the layer the bass adds to the music. There have been some freaks and jerks but none of them have been stupid enough to say things like that about the bass. I always wonder what kind of morons there are in the rest of the world as often as I see posts like this.

My advice... people who say things like that are simply ignorant of the versatility of the bass guitar. Why would you waste a second of precious life worrying about their opinions?

15. bass guy

bass guy

Apr 17, 2006
    its espacially anoyying when people say they cant hear the bass when they dont even realizing their herairing it

16. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    i dont' understand why a guitarist would even have a bassist in the band, if apparently you can't hear em anyway?

17. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Start tapping.

Sounds good, and turn the amp up...your 'friend' will be able to hear it, and maybe it'll throw him off...

18. The guitarists in my band respect every instrument and voice that makes up music. We are all a team working on our parts to make the overall sound, which is what being a band is all about. I played rhythm guitar for 30 years before switching to bass about two years ago. Playing chords really started to bore me. Add to this the fact that bass is what I wanted to play (instead of guitar) at 10 years old and, therefore, I've always paid most attention to bass in music. Now that I play bass, I'm enjoying music more than ever.

As for the a-holes that like to put down others, think of the sixth letter in the English alphabet and fill in the rest... ;)

Paul Mac

19. FusionArsonist

FusionArsonist

May 4, 2006
    im not even a bassist and ive come here cos its my favourite instrument...nothing is more beautiful than hearing soloist slap away...keepin it fonkay...im juss wondering why wud their be haters on a bass-forum???

20. I'm sick of my band. They're always like, why do you always play your 7-string, why don't you play your 9-string anymore.

Sheeeesh!!!

:D

- Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.