1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anodized pickguard question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Nov 10, 2018.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I just bought a used bass, and and doing some work to freshen it up (wet polishing the poly, etc.). It has a gold anodized pickguard with some marks on it. What is the best thing to use to polish it out?

Thanks.

2. Pretty sure any rubbing will go through the delicate anodized finish, right down to raw alum.

Ric Vice and Jim Carr like this.
  3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi buldog :)

I don' t think polishing that PG is a good idea.

Kinda like polishing yellow teth to get rid of the cavities. ;)

You might end up having a silver PG and still have some black scratches. :(

greetings

Wise(b)ass

edit: not that I have something against white teeth :D

buldog5151bass likes this.
  4. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I have an ano guard on one of my P basses, and the gold is worn through in wear areas. It's pretty thin, I'd approach that with care.
    Or, embrace the relic. ;)

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    You really can't do anything to anodizing. The silver scratches are where something has cut through the gold anodized top layer. If you rub it with anything abrasive, you'll just make more scratches. If you try to buff it, you'll get a shiny area....with polished scratches. Don't touch it. The only repair is to have it re-anodized.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  6. Following because I'd like an answer too. I can't stand the feel of that pickguard on my fingers - it's like touching an old car's paint job that is in desperate need of several coats of wax. Can it be lacquer coated like a trumpet or something? Yes, I know I could just swap it out, but it does look cool... might look even cooler if it was smooth 'n' shiny though......

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Everything I got was that it was just a thin coating, and polishing it with abrasives would just take off the gold. Perhaps a little wax?

8. I was even thinking clearcoat spray paint...

9. I also couldn't deal with the feel of those pickguards. I just put a 13-hole on my road worn P. One or two of the holes don't line up but it's not a big deal.