Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anolog or Digital? (multitrackers)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Jake15, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Which would be better if you were going to record and then put it onto a computer. What are the advantages to each and what are some good ones for under 1000$.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -you can get many digital HD recorders under that range, or maybe a reconditioned ADAT XL? What other equipment do you have? With limited knowledge of your set up, I would say look for a simple hard disk recorder then go into your sound card. I would avoid cheap analog, though the old Tascam reel to reels had a certain charm you really can't get the clarity of digital. You need PHAT money to get even close with analog. Good Luck!

note: this opinion based on my exp. Blisshead is not necessarily of sound mind.

3. for under $1000 you can get the Roland 840GX that runs off of the 250MB zip disks for $600 from AMS. Then you can either get the SCSI kit for the 840GX so you can connect it to your computer and from there, it has an option to transfer songs to your computer as .wav files. That runs for like $120, the SCSI kit that is. Or if you don't want to use the SCSI kit, you can buy a small portable DAT recorder and record from the 840GX to the DAT tape, and from that to your computer. But that runs for about $300-$400.

4. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I just looked at the Boss/Roland BR-8 and I thought it was great. Any comments on it?

5. jake

the roland br8 is about a step down from what victor wooten used to record his yin yang albums and they sound great. that is a great idea, every musician should have something to record themselfes on my band is about to buy a yamaha aw 4416 if you ve go the cash then this is the one for you. it has everything!!!! evern track edit kinda like pro tools.

6. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Try a talkbass search on the BR8. I however swear by it! I've had it for nearly a year and have found it excellent quality, simple to use and loads of functions to make it good for guitarists ie built in tuner, built in FX etc. I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

7. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I bought it and I love it.