1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

another $100 NBD - Squier VM P = impressive (imho)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pudgychef, Mar 7, 2013.

1. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Snagged a N.O.S. 2010 (at least according to the 'inspected by' sticker on the pickguard plastic) Squier Vintage Modified P bass (amber finished, maple fretboard) from a local store - straight up trade for gear that ran me about $100 and they tossed in a set of Fender flats (50-105) as well....

I have been a pretty firm CV>VM guy since they both came out...starting to reconsider. Set it up with the flats and jammed it last night.....can't imagine what is 'lacking' in this bass...it struck me a few times that this bass nails that essential, P bass tone and play-ability....I kept thinking 'if you can't get it done on this, you likely can't get it done'. Are there nicer Ps? Of course...but (imho) absolutely NOTHING on this bass holds you back from delivering...LOVE the pickup - once I dialed it in with the new flats it sounded as good 'in the mix' as most Ps I have played.

Going to take it to a recording session next month and do a pass on all tracks with it, my Bongo, my Classic Ray and the studio's AS P...so perhaps that pudding will provide proof of its 'lacking'...

While I still prefer the look and glossy neck of the CV Ps...I have to say I think this sounds as good or better than any of the 3 I have owned...still want a MF sig mind you...

Squier = silly bang for the buck these days (imho) and for anyone (like me) not/no longer at a point of earning a few K a month playing...they really make sense. :bassist:

For $250 they are a stupid value...for $100 with strings...a blessing :D

obligatory pics:

Attached Files:

2. pudgychef

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    more pics

Attached Files:

3. pudgychef

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    one more set

Attached Files:

4. Wow, looks really good. Congrats! Nothin' quite like a good P.

5. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    The squires are getting alot of love these days been thinking about getting one and putting flats on it never had flats and would like to have one without much invested in it and that's a great looking bass, what's the difference in the vintage modified and classic vibes??

6. boombiscuits

boombiscuits

Jan 7, 2012
    Man...that is a ridiculously good deal!

7. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Lovely deal. That is a steal of a bass for $100. It's worth that for the looks alone!
    There must be something in the air because I've struck gold myself lately.
    Snagged a Yamaha BB414 and Michael Kelly Firefly 5 last week for $150 for the pair. And today I traded the Firefly for a Takamine EG512C that I am absolutely in love with. The $150 came from the sale of a Jay Turser bass that someone was throwing out and gave me for free. A good cleaning and new strings that I had lying around ultimately transferred a free Jay Turser into the BB414 and the Tak :D

pudgychef likes this.
  8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Great score, bud - congrats...

- georgestrings

9. Nice grab, incredible price! I feel the same way about these as I do about the VM Jazz - it looks great, plays great, feels great...there isn't really anything it can't do.

I'll look forward to hearing how it does in recording. My guess - as good as anything else.

10. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Vintage Modifieds show satin finishings on necks and tend to offer '70s wider/flatter fret workin'.

Furthermore Classic Vibes feature Custom reproduced pickups to almost Vintagey specs

Vintage Modified capture the '70s vibe (I'm sorry for the misconception I can possibly cause you with this wordin') adoptin' Duncan Designed pickups that are nowhere near to true Seymour Duncan's overall quality, yet hot as heck for that ultrasnappy sound

Cheers,
    Wallace

11. LarryCrabtree

LarryCrabtree

Sep 19, 2011
    Love them Ps. Beautiful wood great looking bass. I'll stop drooling now. By the way what kind of case is that. I have a round shaped case like that from Canada and thought that I would like another one for another bass I have. Can you tell me where you got the case?

12. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    Thanks Wallace

13. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I just had a few to try to recall their specs

Cheers,
    Wallace

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Great score.

I love my VM Jazz.

VM are just great basses for the $$$.

15. pudgychef

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    I got it in a previous purchase off Kijiji - but its a Yorkville Sound (Long and McQuade) TKL bass...so any L+M would have them

16. pudgychef

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    that is a heck of a deal!! I like those BBs! :bassist:

17. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, if you watch the classifieds you can get a heck of a deal. But your scoring that bass from a dealer for 100 bucks worth of gear that you wanted to get rid of is almost unbelievable. I've never had that kind of luck on trade ins.
    That Squier of yours is absolutely beautiful and I bet it plays like a dream. To get that kind of deal from a dealer on trade ins is almost unheard of. I can't believe they even threw in a set of new flats LOL! You must be one shrewd negotiator!

18. pudgychef

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    spent a lot of cash there in the past...and they will get $350-400 for what I traded in...I just had $100 into it.

Was cool to snag the flats, I was planning to pay for them but they manager said he would throw them in..how could i argue? :)

19. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Great deal! You can't beat that! That's a great looking bass!