Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another 18" speaker disaster!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikemulcahy, Feb 25, 2002.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Had a gig Saturday, loaded out and in as per usual. Did the presound check idiot check (make sure its all plugged in and producing noise), then sound check. Halfway through, my 18's ...QUIT!!! No warning nada, nothing zip, zero, nicht. Check everything, getting signal from the amps. Pulled one of the speakers, appeared fine. Heck with it, did the show with the 2 4x10's. Get home set up the rig, works fine, with the 18's working for two minutes, then the 18's go out again. So I tear the cabs apart pull and check the inputs, fine, speakers look fine, no joy with the battery test. Put in a spare JBL, works fine. The Black Widows, 2 of them mind you, in separate cabs both had the same issue. What the heck happened?

MIke

2. Did you test those 18's by themselves ??

Or, was the whole rig hooked up as usual ??

Try testing the P.V.'s hooked up by themselves. Maybe the amp did not like the load or signal and went into protect mode ?

Try moving the cone in and out on the 18's. Do you feel or hear rubbing, or is it smooth cone flexing ??

It doesn't sound right for a speaker to quit, then work again, then quit again. It is usually all or nothing.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thats where the strange part comes in, i tested them individually and both did the same thing. The coils are intact and appear ok. No rubs. I checked both cabs with a JBL speaker with no problems. Oh and BTW I also checked the cabs with 2 different amps, Crown and Mackie.

Mike

4. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Here's a long shot, but...cabling issue?

5. Go upstream and determine the very first common part to both 18s. A jack, cable, amp connector or ??

I suspect a mechanical separation issue, probably heat related.

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Since I only run a 2 amp set up now, Mackie 1400i for the 18's and Crown PowerBase3 for the 410's, the 18's are daisy chained into the bridged Mackie. I pulled the inputs out of the cabs and checked them with the JBL speaker and they wroked fine, back the BW's, no joy.

jcadmus, first thing i checked was cables, but i appreciate the thought. I idiot check everything first, then go for the less obvious.

Thanks guys

Mike

7. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Yeah, but did you try DIFFERENT cables? I guess that was my question. Could be an intermittent short in the speaker cables your using -- either at the plugs or downstream.

Also another thought -- is it possible that the problem is in the output jack(s) from the amp that you're using? An intermittent short, perhaps?

I dunno, I'm just noodling here, but something tells me this is a mechanical problem somewhere and that it's not about the speakers themselves.

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I know what you mean J, I actually tried 2 different amps and cables with the same results. I feel the same way as u, but the results of my limited testing produced the same results. Even a 9v battery would not move the cones.

Its puzzling.

Mike

9. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    So I guess you guys are as stumped as i am?

Mike