Another 400+ question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Jan 29, 2006.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Its peak rating, pretty much made up. 12 6L6 tubes put out about 300 watts. Sounds huge though.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, what POM said.

They give you 'peak' as opposed to RMS. A 6L6 is only good to about 25watts.
  4. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    a 6l6GC can pump out more than that... fender currently gets just BARELY shy of 60W (it's like 58 and change) on their hot rod deville.

musicman was getting over 70W clean RMS out of a pair of 6l6GC's in the 70s. (i tihnk they rated it 90 "marketing" watts though).

selmer was squeezing 70W out of a pair of el34's... a tube with a lower max plate dissipation rating than 6l6GC's.

anyway- the list goes on... it's possible, you just need to design for it. (namely, going nicely into AB2 operation) with proper voltages throughout the amp.
  5. mesa likes to play games with the numbers sometimes, they think they need to be tricky to sell amps. It's plenty loud, that's what counts. I've had 900 watt amps that i could barely hear and 100 watt amps that could pulverize bone at 50 paces. It's what you hear and feel that counts.
  6. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    mesa is really bad when it comes to having truth in advertising in general...

a lot of their amps are rated in "dynawatts" (or at least were, i wonder if they're still doing that).

i'm going to start rating amps in farts-per-square-inch@1w@1m.