Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another 4x10 or 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Oct 10, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I searched and didn't see this, I own an Ampeg 4x10. I am going to add another cab with my Eden WT-800 head. I like the idea of a 15 a lot, but I was considering adding another 4x10 and running a stereo set up on stage having one cab at each end of the stage. I know it would sound sweet. But the full range sound of adding a 15 is also very appealing but this would rule out the stereo concept. Has anyone used the stereo concept before around here? I guess the optimal way to go is pick up a used 4 x10 and a 15' and depending on the club have the option for both set ups but who has that kind of cash laying around, any thoughts?

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Stereo works well for one guitarist or one guitarist on each side but for bass it just doesn't seem to sound right. I tried it with a 2x15 one side an a 6x10 on the other. Sound was massive but it just made things louder and boomier than they should be.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The fact that I would be using two matching cabs maybe that would make a difference. I think the whole thing with stereo is to have the same sound comming from both sides, the dynamics of 15's on one side and 6x10 would ruin the whole concept of stereo I would think?

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Get the 15 if it means you are not going to put two cabs on each side of the stage, stack them or go side by side at the very least. Just cuz you got two cabs does not make it stereo and either way, true stereo or not it would be annoying to the audiance. Having them spread out will only cause wierd comb filtering to occur out in the audiance. How often do you ever hear stereo bass on an album? 99.9% bass is panned dead center along with the kick. Excuse me for the tirade I just think this idea of spaced cabs is very silly. Make a stack of whatever you are gonna buy.

5. The only real use I can think of for a cab on each side of the stage is so you can hear yourself equally if you wander around from side to side, better monitoring. I'd go for the 15 myself... of course you could always stack 2 4x10s as well if you want to.

6. IMO, you would be disappointed with a 1x15 if trying to mate it with a 4x10.

First, the loudness thing. In the playing environment, most 4x10 are louder than a 1x15. The Ampeg 4x10 are spec'ed around 95 ~ 96 sensitivity, so there are a few 15s that can compete here. Those that are loud enough to compete with the 4x10 won't have much bottom, unless they are in huge cabinets.

Next is the tone character. The 4x10 will have a different tone character than a 1x15. This can be good or bad, depending on your needs. I would not bi-amp this combination due to no bottom in the 15, so running a mis-matched pair at full range is something I would not want.

Last is split cab placement. Splitting a pair of identical cabs to opposite sides of the stage has many benefits. Located on either side of the drummer, split placement provides uniform sound stage for the engine room. It is easier to snuff the drummer if he gets out of line...

:D

Split placement lets those on the opposite side of stage hear you without having to be overly loud. This allows the band to turn down. Mine won't, YMMV. There is the possibility of standing wave interaction, hot/dead spots, and all the other fun things playing inside a building. Multiple source locations from split cabs can compound this.

If you like your 4x10, get another identical one. Then you can split or stack them, or leave 1 home.

7. Just to add to bgavin. First, I've been in your shoes and I opted for a 15 and I'm happy mostly but the gigs I played with a wood platform stage I turn off the 15 because of the boominess.
    I also split cabs( 4x10s) along with the guitarist on either side of the drummer. We are a three piece and need to fill the sound stage, so to speak. People look at our stage and start looking for ear plugs. But our volume is quite tolerable and people compliment us on our sound.
    (Note PA is used for vocals and Kick and Snare drum. )
    It's good to see others split cabs. I'll shut up now.

8. If you want to improve your sound... 1x15
    If you want more sound... 4x10

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you want a beefier low end, go with the 1x15 cab.

If you want more punch, go with a 2nd 4x10.

In either case, go with a stack instead of the spread. You (and the audience) will get a much more focused sound.