Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another 5 string question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 22, 2001.

1. I NEED A 5-STRING!

I just found out the Ibanez BTB505 is available by mail order only. That removes it from my choices.

Who makes high quality, versatile 5-strings for under a grand?
    I need some brand names to go try out.

How about Warwick?
    Peavey?
    Carvin? (mail order only)

I need suggestions.

2. Take a look at the Spector NS2000/5. Beyond great 5 string bass and it's under a grand.

3. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Been pretty happy with my Carvin LB75, which I got a couple years ago for under $900. shipped with a case, custom color, etc.

IMO, Carvins are the best factory basses you can buy. (And before the flames begin, please note the qualifier in that sentence).

A buddy likes mine so much he just ordered one of the new ones with the Piezo bridge.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    A whole lotta people dig the Cort Curbows. Barts, Mighty Mite pre-amp, super thin neck, luthite body, and (I think) a 35" scale. A lotta people are digging them. I almost got one a while back. Good stuff.

5. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    I believe the BArts only come on the Cort 6's. The others have Mighty Mite pups I think. Don't know much about MM's, but I absolutely love my Cort 6. If the Curbow 5 fretless came with a Bart, I'd probably pick one up...

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cort Curbows have a 34" Scale. Bart Pickups are standard on the 6 String Model right now. As I know.. Greg is gonna upgrade the series by removing the Cort Name, adding Bartolini MK1 Pickups and Graphite or Steel reinforcements on the neck.
    The preamp is made overseas, but its an exclusive design by Greg Curbow and Bill Bartolini, so it wont be replaced.

This should happen before 2002. Anyway... You can always retro-fit the 5 string with bartolini Pickups.

Greg Curbow did that for me on my 5 String Fretless, he charged about $170. It was a Custom Quad Coil with 3 position coil selector.
    If you happen to get the same, wire it Series , Parallel and Reverse-P (OR Standard P). Mine is Series , P , Reverse P. And I like the Series more than anything else, and I think a parallel would sound better than having 2 P configs.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I was in the market last fall. I was down to Spector and Carvin. I went with the Carvin LB75. I think I would have been as happy with the Spector too but I like the old school styling of the Carvin body, plus, I knew their workmanship is flawless. The so-called "Carvin neck" is a dream, IMO.

Peavey? The upper end Peavey's get rave reviews.

Warwick- I'm totally confused, (haven't tried one). Half of what I read on them dismisses them outright. The other half say they're great, with qualifications, such as comments about the neck. Some say the MEC pups are dogs. Their catalog is worth the investigation alone. Best piece of bass marketing I've ever seen for free.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The BTB505 isnt available by MO only, ive seen it in plenty of stores. But IMO, thats the bass to go with.

9. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The GC 4 miles from my house has a Trans Black BTB505 for $549 as of 10 days ago.

10. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Warwicks can be found for under $1000, but rarely. The active Corvette Standard is a great sounding bass and beautiful to behold. It is heavy and lacks mid-range controls. But still, it sounds great.

The Peavey sounds and looks good, but is rarely under $1000. It's neck is too flat for my tastes.

The Carvin is the best value for under $1000. You can get everything you want, with the exception of an exotic wood perhaps, for that price tag. I have not tried the piezo basses.

I own a Corvette and used to own an LB75. I've played Peavey's in the stores. I'd say stick with the Carvin, unless you really want the Warwick sound. Try it out and you'll know for sure. Remember the 10-day trial wit Carvin.