Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another 800RB Tone Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    ok this is kinda related to my mid-contour question located here. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164700

i'm starting to think my 800RB is just too harsh, clean, and thin soundng for my tastes.

i want a more thick, ballsy, colored tone.

i really don't have the cash to go out and get another amp. i was wondering if there are any means of getting closer to my desired tone. like an eq pedal or something?

gear: 800RB, 1x15 GK RBH, 2x10 LDS, jazz bass.

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    You could also upgrade your pickups, go a size or 2 larger on the strings, or get an active preamp/di thingie.

3. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i actually have a stingray too...... :bassist:

4. from what I hear the Sans Amp stomp box is a great one for warming up the tone. There are others like it too. I've seen them used for about $125, new for about $190. You might want to consider making a trade for a different amp. If you have a little money to spare you could go for something witha tube in it, maybe an SWR or an Eden or go for a straight up trade for a Hartke 3500, which I think sounds great, or something similar.

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    who wants to trade :)

:bag:

6. RB800, SR4 and 4x10 Mesa cab for me and I'm having excactly the same problem as you, have to always
    use the mid shape and even cut mids on eq as well.

What a relief that its not only me.... :meh:

Is the RB800 really that mid shaped ?

(I know that the 4 x 10 probably is very "mid" as well but it seems really extreme having to cut so much)

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:

Yes, they do have only 1 tube, if they do.
    SWR is "scooped and hifi", I don't think it's what you are looking for.
    Eden, however, is close. Big fat punchy sound
    "go straight up trade for a Hartke"? IMO, it would be a trade down...

The 800RB can be smooth and even clean, as you say, but I wouldn't call it thin.
    Experiment with the EQ: a little treble cut, bass and mid boost for a bit more thickness. Ballsy? Then boost a little bass and switch on high boost.

8. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I was wanting something a little more modern sounding. I usually had the mid button pushed in. Still, it was kind of generic sounding. I used an ART nightbass for a while and also a DOD Bass30 pedal to add some 'spice' but after 3 years I sold it and got one of these

www.thebassgallery.com/yambbt500h.html

I'm very happy with the change.

9. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    right. did you find when you did that you were pretty dead in the mix? i don't find it too bad in practice but on live recording i'm not so present.

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Bayou, Try some pre amps first, Sans Amp, Sadowsky are both cool. But thats the reason I sold my 400RB and went with Eden. They are the warmest Solid State Amps I've heard. There may be better stuff out there, but it's alot more scratch. GK is good stuff and was certantly ahead of it's time, but there have been some improvements scince the good ol' 800RB came out.

11. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    how much do those pre-amps run?

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Bayou, Lookin at the dollars, I see two options, the two pre amps will run arround 250 to 300. The other option is to sell yout 880RB and look for a used Eden either WT800 or the Traveler 300, 400. I know with your two cabs the edens will crank, and I've seen 400's for 495$ used. If you want to try my Eden (300) Pm me I'm up for the drive.

13. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I liked the G/K when it had room to breathe (more open spaces) but the Yamaha seems more versatile as far as sound goes. I really haven't gigged with the yamaha yet. Just a few garage jams and a couple times in church. Nothing where mix / stage volume was critical anyway. I'm not in a band right now. As for cost, it's $600 about anywhere I've seen. I got $350 for the GK, $130 for the nightbass, and $70 for the DoD bass30, so I only paid about $100 xtra for the change, not counting the wizzy 112's I added. The nice thing about the Yamaha is it's got 5 preset (plus the infinite manual settings) buttons for 1 touch eq changes including distortion, compression and noise gate. no extra devices necesary. I can add a midi pedal if I want to change presets with my foot but no programming is required.
    On my GK, either I used the nightbass/bass30 or I played straight thru and didn't change anything anyway, only making changes on the bass.
    Adding a sansamp might be the easy way to go to fatten up your sound if you don't mind extra wires and cords to step on.
    As for the 'dead in the mix' thing, I never knew how I sounded 'out front'. I don't think our sound guy ever had me turned up very much according to my wife. I guess I need a wireless

14. It sounds like you really are in need of a GBE 600, if you were to sell your amp, you could easily afford one. I've seen them go for as low as 575 brand new. You could get at least like 300 for what you have. That should be pretty realistic and do-able. The GBE is by far the warmest solid state head I've ever heard.