1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Another AlNiCo vs Ceramic

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Oleg BassPlayer, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    Currently I'm thinking on buying a DiMarzio's P-bass style pickup for my bass. DiMarzio seem to be the only option in our local shops. I can't decide between Alnico2 DP250 and ceramic DP250. I know that such things are very subjective and you never know until you both, preferably on the same gear, but nevertheless I must make a choice. So have anybody played on both and how do they feel?

As far as I understand, the main difference is magnet type. I've found some samples of alnico2 and ceramic electric guitar pickups, alnico2 seems a bit sharper and have a better attack, ceramic being a bit warmer, but the guitar is heavily overdriven (and it's guitar, not bass), so it's hard to tell.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

ceramic should be a more aggressive sound
    I like the ceramic magnets pickups in my SRX2 & when I bought a SRX700 with AlNiCo magnets, I didn't like it, because it sounded more like a Music Man, less aggressive.

3. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    I wish pickup manufacturers had some samples on their sites (on the same gear, of course) for customers to be able to compare. Anyway I've almost decided on ceramic DiMarzio's. The problem is that I've got a fretless bass, too, and seem to start embracing it more and more, and if it's the case then I need at least one J-bass pickup, too. My wife's going to kill me.

Danpirvine and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

I think you're kind of lucky DiMarzio's are available locally.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  5. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    Still it's not like walking in the nearest store and saying gimme this one, they are retailed in a few places and mostly are in supply warehouses, available within a day or two.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. Killed_by_Death

I assume it's like Asia as well, where there is no return policy. So if you don't like them, you're stuck with them.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If the one with ceramic magnets is the Model P, it has very high output, and stronger, deeper lows than traditional P-bass pickups. I used one for awhile, and it's great for rock. I'm assuming the alnico model is the Area P, which is designed to produce a more vintage tone. It probably won't be as aggressive as the Model P, but could sound warmer.

8. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    Technically speaking, you can take things back to the store here, but according to the law you have to keep packing and ensure they look brand new, that is no scratches etc. Greatly depends on the retailer.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. Uche_bass

Uche_bass

Jul 31, 2017
    Argentina
    Similar question, I've been looking to the dp127, and the sd quarter pound, and I wonder how would you describe each one's sound? I play rock, hardish rock, indie and popish rock, so versatility is quite useful

10. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    If you settle on the Dimarzios, don't be afraid to try some higher rated pots, even up to 1 meg ohm. You may be surprised at how good they sound opened up like that.

Oleg BassPlayer likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021