1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Amazing Bobby Vega Throwdown: Zero Reunion

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by silvertone, Dec 30, 2016.

1. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    HUGE jamtastic throw down by Zero last night at Sweetwater in Mill Valley, CA.

First reunion in about 6 years though Steve and Bobby play together regularly.

Core four of Kimock, Vega, Greg Anton and Pete Sears were joined by original Zero Trumpeter, Hadi Al-Saadoon (who was fantastic and sounded like Miles Davis),
    Banana (aka Lowel Levinger - formerly of the Youngbloods), and special guests Miles Kimock on guitar and Jessica Fierro (daughter of the late great Zero Sax player Martine) on a couple of vocals.

The Band was in fine form and hit a ton of high crescendos.

For the most part it was all on - there were great dynamic moments and the audience was 100% into it and was quiet during the quiet moments or chided with random peeps summoning the spirit of Martin Fierro and yelling out "oh Chut Up!"

Happy New Year Peeps....
    I demand we all stay up till midnight on NYE so we can get a little revenge and collectively watch 2016 DIE.....

Here's some vids I cap'd last night:

Golden Road

Tangled Hangers

Home on the Range

Berm

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  2. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    For anyone really interested in the fantastic bass playing skills of Bobby Vega in support of Zero, the entire show from last night can be streamed (audio only - unless I find the full vid on the toobs) from KVMR archive links here:
    Voice of the Community Archive

These won't last too long but if you click soon you can spin both sets from 12/29.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. shorthand

shorthand

Dec 24, 2014
    Smoove. Not familiar w/ Zero, listening on the radio. But after Bobby's column in Bass Player, I become aware of him and his considerable skills. Thanks for hookin' me up.

4. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    I've been a Vega, Kimock & Zero fan for more than 30 years.
    My first time was Summer of '86 at the Blue Moon Saloon on Haight Street.

Bobby Vega is a monster of groove, technique, funkiness and tasteful invention.

His Glockenlang enabled and vintage J bass tones are reference standards I measure other players bass tones against.

Dude kills....

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  5. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Here's another gem from Bobby Vega:

Bob_Ross likes this.
  6. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    Stream of the 12/29/16 Zero show via The Internet Archive just surfaced:

Enjoy!

7. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    yeah. damn. sometimes i just don't what to do when i hear Bobby! i used to bump into him on the street in the city - good guy. killer player.

8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012

Holy good gawd y'all! I just crapped my pants. Seriously. Day-um...

9. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    Mother's Day was a great weekend to live in SF!
    Friday night was a double header tribute concert at Great American Music Hall in honor of the talented poster artist, Dave Hunter, who regrettably succumbed to cancer at way to early an age....

There was a huge amount of poster art for sale in a silent auction - and peeps like Wavy Gravy and Stanley Mouse in the House.

Steve Kimock fired up Zero (w Bobby Vega and a few other guests and tore it up!
    Steve Kimock band followed.

Here's a multi-camera pro shot HD Vid of the Zero Set:

--------------

Last night (Mother's Day) in Mill Valley I attended my 2nd viewing of the new Grateful Dead documentary, "Long Strange Trip." at the Sequoia Theater. (Previously I attended the World Premier at the Castro Theater in SF in April.)

The Q&A after the movie featured the director, Steve Parish (Garcia's guitar tech and protector), Steve Silberman (Author of Neurotribes and the Grateful Dead Dictionary) and Mr. and Mrs. Bob Weir.

Afterward we all strolled over to the nearby Sweetwater where Steve Kimock band (SK, Vega, Leslie Mendelson, Pete Sears and Dan "Lebo," Lebowitz were initially joined by Bobby for a great "Birdsong," followed by a terrific harmony vocal duet on Roy Orbison's, "Blue Bayou," with Mendelson.

After this 2 song mini-set, Weir split and was replaced by the great Erik Krasno of Soullive who jammed like mad on an SG with the assemblage for the rest of the show.

Regrettably I was exhausted this AM and spaced bringing my cam to work to upload the vids I shot.
    I'll try and post some tomorrow!

10. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    From the Better late than never files:

Steve Kimock Band
    Sweetwater Music Hall
    Steve Kimock
    Bobby Vega
    John Morgan Kimock
    Leslie Mendelson
    Lebo
    Pete Sears
    Special Guest: Eric Krasno
    May 14, 2017

After Party following Theatrical Release of
    Long Strange Trip at the Sequoia Theater

Vid Cap by Ted Silverman via Sony Cybershot RX100ii

Birdsong

Blue Bayou

That's What Love Will Make You Do

Bertha

Scarlet Begonias (1)

(My cam battery died)

Scarlet Begonias (2)
    at

Shakedown Street

Not Fade Away

Jambuzz
    Watch Steve Kimock, Eric Krasno and More Burn Down the House With "Shakedown Street" at Sweetwater Music Hall - Jam Buzz