Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another amp or preamp/power amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by havuk, Apr 5, 2005.

1. havuk

havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    DFW TEXAS
    I am currently putting together another rig and am leaning towards a thunderfunk ans schroeder 1210 combo. But.. also I have noticed lot's of people go with pre amps like the bbe tmax etc with a power amp of some sort..

Currently I am just practicing and eventually looking at getting into another band. I was thinking the TF/Schroeder would be nice due to it's compact size. What do you guys think.

Any pros or cons to either setup? thanks! :bassist:

Jon

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    The preamp/poweramp combination is going to be a LOT bigger, and heavier, and if you were going to drive a 1210 anyway, why lug the extra weight?

To be honest, the answer is "both". :p Get the TF and the 1210 and see if you hit the wall. You might be surprised at how much you can do with it, and how little you actually need all the power of a big power amp rig. But say you do find it to be lacking. You can then get another 1210 (for example) and see if that gets you there, and if you needed more power then you could get a preamp and poweramp and rack them together.

3. I don't know, man.. I've got a Sansamp RBI and a Stewart World 1.6, and they weigh 21 pounds total. Not bad for 1,600 watts! The 1210 is rated for 850 watts handling, so it can definitely take more power than the Thunderfunk can give up.