Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another amp/pre-amp question..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shinster, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Shinster

Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
    Ok.. what I'm getting at is, can you mix and match a tube preamp; say an Aguilar DB680 with a solid state amp; say a QSC Powerlight .. and a couple of Wayne Jones cabinets (900 watt 8ohms each channel into each speaker cabinet).. I am trying to put together a killer, warm tube, thick, lucious, great attack, funkafied, oh my god what a great sounding bass rig..
    style: jazz, funk, some rock. Gigs at med to large clubs, even some outdoor gigs.
    I already posted a couple of questions (new to this site) It's hard because I am not a big techno amp/ohm/watt/speaker guy .. ha no kidding... and I know it's purely subjective...just want and need some great sound advice..and there seems to be some very knowlegdable peoples here.. thanks.

2. Shinster

Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
    hate earthquakes, living in San Francisco Bay area.. don't want to be tooooo loud and obnoxious !! (little bit is ok)
    Just want a great sounding combination pre amp / amp / speakers.. looking for opinions, not trying to be pretentious.

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Most definitely.

However, many of the "warm tube" fanatics around here will say that you're never going to get a true warm tube sound with that solid state poweramp. It's usually tubes overdriving tubes that gives you a good tube warmth/grit, but it will definitely be a killer rig any way you go.

4. Shinster

Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
    I would go with a Ag.DB728 with the pre but I heard from Wayne and others that that amp would probably be ok but still might be a little underpowered for his cabinets at 400watts into 8/4/2ohms?!
    So to spend that kind of money I want to be sure that I'm getting a great sounding rig -not necessarily blowing the roof off the house sound either. Looking for a very rich, warm, great attack, thumb slap, pop.. that will satisfy me (first) and the boys in the band and ultimately the audience at gigs :D

5. I would go with the qsc. If you were doing heavy metal or something I would say get the aggie, hard rock guys like tube girth. For you I would suggest QSC- first for the power, and second for the tighter bottom. Tube power amps tend to be fuzzy on the bottom end. You will have PLENTY of warmth with the aggie pre. If you got the setup with aguilar-qsc-wayne jones you would have better tone than 90% of the top pro's IMO. I promise you will be more than satisfied.

6. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Shinster, what QSC PowerLight amp are you looking at that will put out 900 watts / side stereo into 8 ohm loads. I was looking at the QSC web site and even the MX3000a is 800 watts / side stereo into 8 ohms.

I'm running two WJ cabs with a PLX 2402 mono-bridged with the cabs daisy chained.

I would have liked to have found a (reasonably) lightweight power amp that would do 900 watts per channel into 8 ohm cabs - does anyone know of such a beast?

7. Shinster

Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
  8. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Shinster, you're right - my oversight. The 4.0 should be a great match for two WJ's. Let me know if you get the cabs. I'm interested in your opinion.
    Gantt

9. Shinster

Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
    Worldwidepants..
    Thanks for the advice, I don't play heavy metal.
    But now I'm concerned about even using the
    Ag. DB68 preamp.. the sound I'm looking for, mainly Jazz, funk, some rock.. but I need great attack, thumb slap, pop sound, with slight warm tones for walking? Will the combo of the
    QSC Powerlight with the AG.DB680 pre amp and the two WJ's give me that

:confused:

10. It definately will. It sounds like we have a similar style/sound. I use eden stuff, just because I can't afford the setup you are getting. Maybe in a few years. My bass teacha is that kind of player too. He has the setup you are looking at. He used to be endorsed by eden but dropped them for aguilar/wayne jones. You can check him out at www.noisytony.net

and he's on the cover of this months global bass magazine.

www.globalbass.com

you should be able to find his email there, if you have any questions for him.

11. oops, make that last month. You should be able to find the article though (I'm too stinkin' lazy, sorry)

12. Shinster

Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
    ganttbos -What is YOUR opinion on the WJ's cab's.?
    How long have you had them?

13. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Shinster, Since this thread is not primarily about Wayne Jones cabs, I'll post a reply to your question as a new thread.