Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another amp problem thread.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., Jun 26, 2005.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Alright, when I first got my new amp, I loved it. I quickly found the tone I was looking for and it cut through like a beast. Well I took my amp to my drummer's house, and I would always use his dad's bass cab since I didn't feel like hauling mine over there every time we went. I always tweak my EQ with that cab, and did so accordingly with my new amp. I bring it back home and ever since then I haven't really been able to find that tone I love again. I went out of town for a week, and the whole time the amp hasn't been in use. I started to play it today and noticed a weird sound, almost like the hiss of a tweeter, but my tweeter was off.(I didn't notice this yesterday or Friday.) I set everything flat and started EQing it again...but still couldn't get that sound I love out of it. Then it seemed to light up and make a really high pitched sound whenever I stood really close in front of it to EQ. I'm guessing this is the tweeter fuse lighting up, but the tweeter is off. Anyway, my set up looks like this

Jay Turser Stingray copy -> Eden WT-400 -> Ampeg SVT410HLF with a Sabine RT-7000 rack tuner running from the tuner out of the Eden. So let me know if you know anything that might be causing my problem. Could it possibly be a loose connection in the imput jack of my bass? or a bad cable? Also, what is the best way to go about getting a nice tube-sounding tone out of this little beast? I really dig the tone of Emery's bassist. Thanks for the help and God Bless. -Brad

2. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    I'm not the most qualified person to help you with this, but I can offer some basic suggestions for locating the problem. Try replacing a single component in the setup with something you know works one at a time, like first try another bass and see if you get the hissing or anything, then try a new cable, new cab, etc.

Also, did you make sure your amp can handle the impedance of the other cab you used? I'm not sure what effect using an amp below its minimum impedance has, but it just sounds like a possibility since the problem showed up after using another cab.

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    They're both 4 ohm cabs, and since I never use them together the amp should be fine as it carries a minimum of 4 ohms. I'll try to get one of my friends to bring a bass over sometime and see if that is one of the factors.