Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another amp scenario

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bardolph, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Ok, so I was thinking about 2 different setups.

Setup 1. GK RB400 2x10 combo paired with the GK 115SBX cabinet

Setup 2. GK RB400 115 combo paired with the GK 210SBX cabinet

Either setup will give me a 15 and two 10s but it's just inverted. Setup 2 will save me a few bucks, but I want to know if there'd be anything significantly different about the two setups.

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Well its an old wives tale that you can feel the balls of your rig more if the 15 incher is on the bottom. And its true. So i suppose either one would work, as long as the 1x15 is on the bottom. If you get the 1x15 combo, your controls will be at waist height :meh:, but if you get the 2x10 combo and put it on the top, the controls will be closer to head height.

Id say the 2x10 combo on top of the 1x15 cab.

3. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Couldn't agree more. For smaller gigs use 2x10" combo, for bigger add 1x15" cab, especially if there isn't PA support.

4. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I would go with the 2x10 combo as it would most likely give you more definition - helpful if you use it alone for small gigs or practice.
    The add-on 15 will add more "girth" - which is what you would need for larger gigs.

If you have a local music store with both combos, try them out. Listen for definition and clarity - that may be what you want for onstage monitoring. For larger gigs, chances are you will have PA support - and the PA will handle the bottom end.