another another (not another) tapping thread

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jian_cheng, Aug 13, 2001.

1. jian_cheng

Jul 13, 2001
    sorry guys .. i noe u might have maybe replied to similar threads but .. correct me if i am wrong .. am i suppose to tap directly on the fret i'm going to play or tapping at the pickups area where i rest my hand ... and any sites that show how to do tapping ?

thanks ppl :)
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Tap directly onto the fret that you're going to play. The tap should be fast and assertive, so that the note sounds as loud as it would if you had played it using regular fingerstyle technique. (Think of Bruce Lee's "one inch punch".) Anything less will sound mushy.

The primary purpose of the tapping technique is polyphony: ie. sounding many notes at once. This will enable you to play multiple lines simultaneously in the manner of a pianist. If you want written lines to practice, go to, which has transcribed lines by Stu Hamm and Vic Wooten under the "Featured Artists" section. I'd also recommend listening to Roscoe Beck (bassist for Robben Ford, Eric Johnson and others). He's not as flash as Mr. Hamm or, say, Billy Sheehan, but his organ-inspired tapping is amongst the most *musical* examples of the technique that I've heard.
  3. The link has an additional comma at the end warwick. Use this
  4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    yeah im learning to tap too. its fun and very much easier than trying to pluck notes that far apart. oh yeah, good tapping solo- John Myung from Dream Theater in the song Metropolis Pt 1 the Miricle and the Sleeper