1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Audition Scenario

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Apr 23, 2010.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I am looking to expand my horizons with another band.

I saw an ad for bass player with a band that opened for my band a few weeks ago. I liked them and they stayed for our show, they had great things to say about my bass playing.

I would be offering them the following; Experience ,No Drama, Pro Gear, Creativity and Stability

Here is the deal, I don’t like the auditioning process for any band. If they respond I will have to tell them, “you guys saw my performance, make me an offer”. without being cocky I want to tell them I am not looking to audition, just an offer.

What do you think?

2. i wouldn't come out and say that,but if you phrased it in a more"hey if you guy's need a bass player,i'm looking for another project"sort of way.....

3. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    "You've seen me play...if you can't find anyone after your audition process & are interested, call me."

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I believe you when you say you'd offer "no drama," but if I were them this would sound to me like potentially working with you is already starting with drama.

Also, when building a band from your network of known and vouched-for players, although technical competence isn't a question, group chemistry still is. In your shoes, I'd be willing to get together once in a non-gigging situation just to make sure the chemistry is going to work—as much for my peace of mind as theirs.

5. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    well this might be good for you but bad for them. i know i screwed myself on a gig because i saw a keyboardist play with this jam band & thought he was good & hired him for an improv dance gig. well we get to playing & he was just completely ovewhelmed with what we are doing & tanked us. these are one or two chord jams mind you.

6. Grantrudd

Grantrudd

Jun 26, 2007
    Boston MA
    seeing you play doesnt count as an audition. you are not on a different level than the other people auditioning. set up your audition, and maybe bring the fact up that they saw you play. definitely audition like the rest of the people. im 99% sure that they will want to see how your sound fits with THIER band, and not your band.

7. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Blue, thanks for the new thread. Man this board was getting really stale.

I like your attitude. However, you're assuming they will expect you to audition; you're assuming something negative. Whenever I catch myself doing this, I reverse it and assume the positive. How do you know they will want you to audition? It sounds as if, for all you know, they will be eager to work with you already. Why not assume this instead?

In a case like this, I would think that normally the offer would come from their end first. If so, you're pretty free to name your terms. However, if you're approaching them, it gets stickier. I would go with something like "Hey, I like you guys. You seemed to dig my playing. Want to work together?" This way you're posing the idea as though everyone is already down with each other, where an audition would be unneccesary.

Are they looking for a bassist?

8. I think it could tarnish your image in their minds.

In addition to the things you offer this band, and the things they have seen and heard for themselves, they may also be looking for a team player, of which you have yet to prove yourself.

Snubbing an audition opportunity is not being a team player. Since you and the band all know you're a good fit, approach it as a rehearsal.

Or do you intend to snub them on rehearsals as well? :)

9. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Just treat the audition as the first practice. Usually if the band likes you, they will treat it that way as well.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    That is exactly what I will do, great approach.

11. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Another nice approach.My intent was not to come off like a prima donna.

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    My thought exactly, I already work with a band where everyone gets along. To a degree.

13. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Good point, makes perfect sense, however I might have to pass.I am just not up for any more rejection. I have lost a couple of spots recently, but I knew I was not a fit for the bands in question.

14. everybody auditions
    even big names

when you are at a pro level
    its more about vibe with the band and rhythm section in general
    than playing skill.

15. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'd think that they really want to see you in THEIR mix before committing to you - not sure why this would be a problem. Just go an play - if they liked you before odds are you get in easily.

16. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    They saw you with your band and liked what they heard enough to see how you work on a personal level which is at least half of the package. I would see that as a good thing.

17. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I like to phrase things like this as "Let's get together, jam and see what happens. Maybe let's jam on a new song the band's been throwing around and see how it sounds".

And I think rejection has less to do with skill and more with chemistry. As others have said.

18. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I can't understand why an audition would bother you. You aren't the only one auditioning. An audition would give you a chance to audition them and see if they are worth your time.

IME, if you go in and they expect you to jump through hoops in the audition then you know they are probably a PITA to work with and can bow out. I think of an audition as an early warning system for jackasses.

19. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    If you want it bad enough, you'll audition. If you don't audition you didnt' want it bad enough.

20. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    No audition, no gig. It doesn't have to be a big deal, like American Idol. If they're at all organized, they know what they're looking for. An afternoon jam session, with them directing what gets played, would fit the bill as an audition. So ... you might say:

"I think I'd be a good fit in your band, and like your music. If you are willing, I'd love to jam with you sometime, see how it fits for all of us, and maybe take it forward from there. No cost, no obligation. Thanks"