another avatar question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Dec 8, 2004.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i've searched and all that, and i know a bit about avatar cabs. but i'm in a bit of a dilemma.

see...i'm pretty sure my band is breaking up. which means that i'm not going to be in an insanely loud rock band for awhile. i'm still going to play here at home, and i'd like to be able to play with other people and join/start another band.

but the thing is...i currently have an svt 8x10. i'm wondering if i'm going to need that still. there's no point to having it for just playing here at the house. so i was thinking about selling it to buy an avatar 2x12 (8ohm). then when i start playing with another band, get an avatar 2x10.

my current amp is an svp pro/rmx 1450 (bridged). i guess my question is this: will the avatar 2x12/2x10 setup be close to as loud/thick as the ampeg?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the 2x12 and the 2x10 would be a great setup. I have a 212 (4 ohm though, because i dont plan on adding another cab to it) and it sounds great. If i were to ever get a 2 cab setup of any brand it would probably be a 212 and a 210.
  3. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I have The avatar 2x12 and 2x10. I don't know how it would sound compared to the Ampeg as I have no experience with that cab, but I know I get a huge sound out of it. I lend it to my friend from time to time, and he prefers an even thicker sound than I do with his metal band, and he loves it too.
  4. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    thanks for the input guys.

anyone have experience with both the ampeg and the avatars?

i had an older version (rear ported) avatar 4x10, but i sold it not too long after i had it, because i didn't need it. it sounded like it didn't have much low end. do the new front slot ported cabs have better low end?
  5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I use the 210 and 212 together. This combo works rather well.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There's no real sonic difference between a rear-ported cab and a front ported one, unless you have it parked really close to a wall. The ports are for tuning the cab's frequency, not for "more" bass to get out of the cab. That is a common misperception.