Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another B4R setup ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stopgo, Mar 1, 2004.

1. stopgo

stopgo

Mar 1, 2004
    Alright, so I tried figuring this out with a few searches but to no avail!

So I just got an Ampeg BR4, and want to hook it up to my Avatar cabs (2x10, 1x15) both are 8 ohm cabs. So I need to mono bridge it looks like. To do this I need to daisy chain the cabs and then run a speaker cable-> 1/4 from the amp to the 2x10, with the mono button depressed. Is this correct? What cable should I get to run from the amp?

Also I have an old DBX160 laying around and wanted to hook it up from compresson, should I do this in the effects loop for the cleanest signal?

gracias

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    What kind of jacks are on the back of the avatar speakers? 1/4, banana, speakon? What kind of output jacks are on the back of your B4r? If it's one that was sold in the USA like mine it will have only 1/4 and banana. I'll guess that the B4r doesn't have speakons but the Avatars do. You will need a banana plug on the amp end of the cable plugged into the two red power outputs. (bridge mono button pushed in) speakon connector on the cab end of the same cable. Then connect the two cabs together with a speakon to speakon cable.

3. stopgo

stopgo

Mar 1, 2004
    Avatar's are 1/4inch, thus it'll be banana>1/4>cab to cab

thanks for the conformation!

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've heard here at talkbss, that banana to 1/4 inch for high power usage can be dangerous because the 1/4 can inch short out or something. You might want to check with avatar and see if they can upgrade the connections for you.