Another Band Annoyance: BL scared to book gig without Guitarist

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassAndReeds, Apr 25, 2018.

1. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Hello,

So our Bandleader is scared to book a gig without the Guitarist. He sings BGs a little, nothing major. We play Top40 songs. Not Rock. I really don't get it. It's a +$200 gig.

I'm frustrated. :banghead:

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Find a sub for the band leader and take the gig. ;):D

3. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Haha. So true.

Slater likes this.
  4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Of course, this is in jest (hence the smilies). I know it would create all kinds of animosity.

BassAndReeds likes this.
  5. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Yes indeed. I don’t have access to the gig anyhow. It’s a lot of money to say no to. :bawl:

Slater likes this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Is there a 2nd guitarist or keyboard player?

Do you sing?

7. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    No second guitar. No keyboard. I sing background a little in this band, but it’s not necessary really

8. As a BL myself, here's the other side of the coin and maybe explains some of this BL's reluctance:

My market is saturated with very good weekend cover bands and very competitive. Every room that pays anything has tons of bands clamoring for the stage.

When you go out short-handed, or even with a sub in many cases, you are not taking out your 100% best product. You may be taking out a "good" band, but some BL's aren't satisfied and remain intent upon taking out their consistent top line of musicians. Maybe part psychological, but there is some truth to it. My band has never been as good short-handed or with a sub as we are with our first line. And if I accept a gig without my first line players, I am less competitive with the other cover bands competing for the same stages as me.

In fact, I have had talent buyers (clients, bar owners, etc.) pick up on this and ask me where my guitarist was, or why didn't I bring the same lead singer, etc. I had one agent tell me to let her know when I had my full-time line up in place before she would book us again. People notice.

Of course, it depends on the project and standards. A blues outfit might be able to get away with it, but a cover band playing more complex material might want to avoid it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The amount of the $$$ on the gig shouldn't matter. Band sit-down time - decide what you need to take a gig.

Spidey2112 and electracoyote like this.
  10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    If you are a SRV tribute, don't even think of going out without a guitar player.
    No keyboards OR guitar, sounds a little strange.

oldrocker and Ekulati like this.
  11. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    So the line up would be vocals, bass and drums??

Yeah, no.

If that's the line up, I suggest going out and getting some gig leads and let the BL follow up.

oldrocker and Ekulati like this.
  12. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Yeah, this is weird. What kind of band is this? Top 40: no keys, no lead vocals, one guitar. Respectfully...huh?

Downunderwonder likes this.
  13. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Subs people. Subs.

We gig a good amount. But still growing. And again, who likes turning down $200 to play music?

Stumbo likes this.
  14. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    We don't really know all of the situation in this case, but sometimes it pays to turn down a gig. If you're really not ready and can't produce quality, then you can lose future opportunities by playing a gig that - for whatever reason - you're not really prepared for. Maybe it doesn't apply in this case, maybe a sub would be perfectly adequate; just saying there are times when passing on a gig is appropriate.

15. sean_on_bass

sean_on_bass Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Some band leaders aren't comfortable using subs, unfortunately. Some bands also can't easily take a sub if they have ventured too far from the "standard" arrangement of classic cover tunes.

For example, in my main group i don't think the BL would book a gig without me on bass because the anxiety of working in a sub would be too much for him. Personally, i think a sub could do a great job, but some of our charts can be a little fishy so they would have to account for that somehow. We also play alot of non-standard rep.

oldrocker likes this.
  16. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Well..sure, but your first post gave off the impression that you want to do the gig as your band but just without the guitar player, without subs. At least that's the impression I got.

If you have access to subs, tell the BL that using a sub for a good paying gig is not a big deal.

Aqualung60 and BassAndReeds like this.
  17. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Yep. I voiced this thought. He’s still apprehensive.

But, We’ve since taken the gig, as the guitar player changed his other gig. So it worked out, until next time.

GBBSbassist likes this.
  18. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Was that $200 per player in the band, or $200 for the whole band?

For some bands, $200 for the whole band isn't even worth worrying about. I know for us $200 for the whole band wouldn't even pay for transportation (not that we haven't played for free before, but that's a different discussion).

Bob Clayton and BassAndReeds like this.
  19. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    :bored: $200+ a person

Bob Clayton and dhergert like this.
  20. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Not a bad gig indeed.

I also echo the sentiment that subs are very important. We have one for me and we have one for the guitarist. The only person we couldn't so a gig without is the keyboard player or drummer.

BassAndReeds likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022