1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another band pet peeve

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sevenyearsdown, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    We have a rule and a process.

Rule:
    If we are discussing the music/problem solving, no playing through amps or drumming.

Process:

When a song stops or ends, everyone listens to what happens. If anyone needs some time to work on a part, time is given to that and everyone else listens to what happens. Time is not to be wasted.

No one is in charge all the time, but each song is "owned" by the either the person who sings it, arranged it, or wrote it.

Work proceeds by consensus, and we take breaks so we "wankers" can relieve the urge to wank as well as seek other forms of comfort.

At the end of rehearsal, we often plan what we will work on at the next rehearsal. An occasional wank is heard, but it is manageable.

2. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Guitar amps need remote controls.

3. bass106

bass106

Oct 2, 2007
    Australia
    Unfortunately it happens a lot, you just get used to it. Or do what I do playing in band with eight gutartists and a drummer. When they're mucking around on their gutair you turn them down on their amp. They all have the habit of having all the amps turned up to the loudest volume anyway and if that doesn't work you pull the plug on the amps (the funny thing is they don't realise when everyones else is playing that you've pulled the plug on one or two of them). Usually they get the point when you've had to take action. Actions are sometimes better than words in some cases.

Another way to avoid it is if you know that your trying write a song etc and know they will have no input, get together before band practice and work on it. So in band practice the gutarist doesn't have to weight around, because face it no one likes to weight around when they have no input. (or why not tell them to buy a pair of head phones they can plug into their amp when you don't need them).

4. Hollow

Hollow

Oct 16, 2007
    Lol so true. My guitarist have a.d.d. I need to find a band that actually practices songs we have to play at upcoming gigs at practice instead of playing metallica solos all the damn time.:scowl:

5. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses

Or the sax player :crying:

6. Actually, I disagree. I practice daily but noodle between songs (at practice, NOT gigs) if I'm not in a conversation. I do this, however, with the volume DOWN so as not disrupt those that are conversing.

I think that kind of polite noodling (again, NOT at gigs) is a sign of someone always hearing/looking for new things.

7. I think we are talking about the ones who do it very loud. I had a guitarist that would do that and you could NOT get his attention. Yelling, waving, poking, if you combined the 3 he would stop and be like waaahht??? Got really old Really fast. Then the drummer would start in. It took us three weeks to get johnny b goode down.............................................................................................................................. yeah.

8. In the current group I'm with, it's the drummer. What makes it worse is that he is miked through the practice PA system (Why? I have no idea, it's not needed). At the last group practice, I had to yell at him, as the guitarist was trying to explain some chord progressions, and it was impossible to hear him with the drummer banging away. I think he took the hint, at least for now.

People shouldn't have to shout at each other over a din of noise, in between songs.

9. mike.b

mike.b

Aug 21, 2007
    england
    hahahaha.sounds like my last band and then the 2 gui****s would join in.i used to dread rehearsals.my latest band ain't to bad.the young sax player likes to go off on one sometimes but that's nothing to shout about.its part and parcel of being in a band.:hyper: