Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another band without a bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I saw this group on tv called Yeah Yeah Yeah(?) Girl singer, guitar player and drummer but they left out the most important part. LIke the White Stripes, it pretty much sucks.

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    There are a Katrillion (actual statistic) guitar-drum/bass-less, bands out there, the decent-good ones?

-The Gossip (really BIG voice, makes up for the lack of bass)
    -The Kills (lazy and sexy sounding)
    -The Black Keys (actually REALLY interesting, the drummer's really good.)
    -Pink and Brown (WAHWHWAHWAHWHWAHWHHWHAW-that's what they sound like)
    -Hella (instrumental group, my friends really like them...drummer's ill, but I don't enjoy it all that much)
    -Arab on Radar (All the musicians are talented...but the singer's awful and the bass is sorely missing....and I mean SORELY)

Want Avant-Garde guitar-less/bass-heavy bands?

-Lightning Bolt
    -Noixgt
    -The Make-Up (the bassist CARRIES that band)

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont think the verb suck could be used to describe what the Yeah Yeah Yeah's do.

Peace
    Nick

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Rock music without the bass sounds so wide open and empty.

Put a White Stripes cd on, and play bass along to it... you'd be surprised how much better it sounds.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sleater-Kinney's one of the best rock groups out there, and they only add bass on rare occasion.

6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Yeah Yeah Yeah...

That name is already giving me an idea of what they sound like. :rolleyes:

7. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Actually, I had written off the Yeah Yeah Yeahs as a White stripes ripoff based on the lack of a bassist and things I had read in Rolling Stone, but I caught that video the other day, and was pleasantly surprised. They're not virtuosos, but who cares? If it sounds good and the vibe is there, then there you go. It's pretty bad when a group of musicians can't appreciate a type of music, or particular band, or whatever just because it doesn't incorporate the instrument that they play. And I'm not pointing fingers, I used to feel that way too.

I give it a thumbs up.

On a related note, Rolling Stone : Music Magazine :: Guitar Center : Music Store.

Boooo...

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh so true!

When I saw them open for Pearl Jam last year they rocked to the nth degree. I have them on regular circulation in my MP3 library.

One thing I like about them is how they EQ their guitars differently to make you forget that something isnt there. One guitar is really trebbly and midrangey and the other is pretty phat sounding without being muddy..... quite the opposite actually.

Oh, and seeing their very very very leggy guitarist doing cool moves probably influenced me a bit. :)

Peace
    Nick

9. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs have a song titled "Maps" It's on MTV,and VH1...also you can get it off the internet.

There isn't a bassist in the band,or the video. However,in the chorus there is most definitly a bass being played.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh, common.

Even if they were terrible what does that show of you writting them off because you dont like their name. Listen to the music and then judge. You figure a musician would at least be able to do that.

Peace
    Nick

PS:Its "Yeah Yeah Yeahs" not "Yeah Yeah Yeah".

11. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I really enjoy The Black Keys. The vocalist/Guitar guy sings but you cant tell what the hell he's saying! its great! It severly reminds me of good ole' 70s' rock. They were on Conan once and they were played on Q104.3 (New York Classic Rock radio station). When the bands with no bass player play live, theirs definantly something missing. The big open gap kinda hangs there. I think its more because, as bass players, we tend to listen for it to be there and since its not, its like a huge hole.

12. just look at they're band name and you can tell they totally suck.. yeah yeah yeahs? They must've been drunk, but again,that's just me. The White Stripes pretty much suck too,but sometimes I can get that one beat stuck in my head. Then I would try to bang it out by hitting it against a wall :-D ..heh.. and NO,my screen name doesnt stand for the white stripes,if that's what your thinking...I just like those black and green stripes, the ones that look kinda punk..heh..I think they're cool!

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If thats not the voice of reason I dont know what is!

Peace
    Nick