another basic looping question

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by JES, Dec 22, 2003.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

So I'm getting ready to make the plunge (thinking Boss RC-20), but I wonder if there's one function that I'd *love* that it won't do:

multiple loops on top of one another that you can switch on and off. . . . .

like a DJ.

I know Ableton Live does this on a laptop, but it seems like it would be too tough to actually use live. We'd have to prerecord the loops, which makes the performance less exciting.

Anybody doing this successfully, and if so, what are you doing?

PS --I'm not a solo bassist, but in a duo.
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The Echoplex can do something like this - you can copy loops across from one to the next, layer on them then switch back. So if gave your layers letter names - A, B, C, D, the loop 1 could just be A, that could be copied into loop 2 and you can add B to make AB.

AB could be copies into Loop 3 to make ABC, and then A could be copied into loop 4, and you could add D, so you then have four loops consisting of

1 - A
    2 - AB
    3 - ABC
    4 - AD

you can then switch between them, either whenever you hit the pedal or at the end of the current cycle...

If you want it like a four track where you can come in and out of each one independently, The Electrix Repeater did that, but the company folded, and I 'think' the Digitech thing may do it (BNX something??? - can't remember the name of it, sorry).

3. JES

JES Supporting Member

Hey Thanks Steve. turns out the digitech doesn't do it, and the repeater seems pretty expensive for a starter. I might just have to live without that particular quality.