Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another "bass on the way" thread. . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geshel, Apr 6, 2003.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, that's the real deal, dude. very nice.

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wow, That zebra is beauty.....*drool*. Good find Geshel.

4. ygthad

ygthad

Jan 9, 2003
    Michigan
    Oh My, That is a great looking Bass.. :) You are going to have fun with that one.. Let us know how it sounds..

5. Nice!

I'm really interested to know what you think of it onc it arrives. I really like the original Tobias basses.

Congrats!!
    Jeff

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yep, I'm curious how it'll be too. Overall it's fairly similar to my fretted Hanewinckel - neck-through, dense woods, Bartolini pickups. It'll be interesting to see if it's got enough difference, tone-wise, to make it worth keeping. (I suppose, it's possible I'll like it better than the Hanewinckel - but I doubt it! :D ).

I was drooling all over the similar fretless one that Bass Central had recently, except wishing it was fretted. Then this came along!

I was actually pretty shocked to see I ended up high bidder when I looked this morning.

7. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    :eek: i love zebrawood...........gah!

great score!

8. If your new bass sounds and plays anything like my pre-Gnashville Tobias 5 (also a Signature) you are gonna love it! Congrats! That is one beautiful slab of zebrawood.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's gorgeous! I've become a huge fan of Mike Tobias in the last few years, and this is a primo example of what he can do.

Congrats on the score!:D

10. I think that's the first bass I've seen...that the back is more stunning than the front! Love the grain on the belly cut! Striking piece!

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Looks pretty nifty. Bass Central had a fretless Tobias very similar to that that I used to long for. Congrats!

12. Wow, that's...wow. Congrats, dude.

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    OK, it's finally in the mail. . .

:bag:
    (is it here yet?)

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It's here. :eek: Pics tonight. This thing is rather amazing. The guy said "mint condition", and he wasn't kidding. I feel like I shouldn't even touch it.

Put some new strings on it. Initial impressions: lighter than my Hanewinckel fretted (smaller body), the less-tapered spacing throws me off just a tiny bit, passive sound is pretty low, active I can't quite figure out the TCT (? think that's what it is) controls. Hard to come up with any conclusions about the active sound until I can get the pre figured out. It does sound good at least ;)

Anybody know much about these preamps? If I turn all three (bass, mid, treble) down, the output goes completely off. All three at 5 is quite a bit louder than passive, and a little bass/treble heavy. I wonder if it's equivalent to the F-2B/F-1x tone controls?

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW!!!! That's ONE SWEET looking bass. I',m glad it wasen't too good to be true!!!!!!!!!!

16. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    great price!

yeeeeeee.

f

17. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    E-mail Mike Tobias about the preamp layout. He seems very friendly and I'm sure he would help you out.

18. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I had a Tobias once, and if I can remeber correctly, a lot depends on how you adjust the mid control. It boosts and cuts both bass and treble based on how you adjust the mids. Specifically I can't remember what is boosted or cut when the mid is either boosted or cut, but I think a description of the preamp is on the Tobias website. If not, don't hesitate to contact Mike, because he's very helpful. I remember when I acquired my Tobias, it took me a little while to get used to the eq and find the settings that I liked. Part of the fun of getting a new bass is exploring and finding out those favorite settings. Good luck, and that's an amazing looking bass!

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hmm - all I found on the current MTD website was a few words about the current (NTMB, I think) preamp. I'll send Michael an email when I get home.

20. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Actually, I meant the Tobias (Gibson) site. This is where I found the info when selling the bass to hand to the buyer. You could try that site, or just contact Mike himself.