Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by villakid 93, Mar 6, 2006.

1. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    I have had my bass since 25th December, when is the time when you should buy a newer better one as mine is a starter at the moment.:smug:

2. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    When the urge and the opportunity coincide.

3. ...which for me is not nearly often enough! :crying:

4. For me, it was when I started playing gigs and felt I should have an upgraded main bass along with a backup.

I suppose the answer is whenever you want one and can afford or justify one.

5. The time is when you need one to progress to the "next level." If, for example, you want a black one rather than the white one you have only because of the color, it probably isn't time.

6. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    +1.

My rule of thumb is to buy a new one when the need comes up before I see something I like (i.e. I got into an industrial rock band, so I decided I needed a 5-er). This avoids you having the following as your reason to purchase a new bass: "This one is really cool!"

FYI: Spouses don't like that answer much. :rollno:

7. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    It completely depends on you. I bought my Kingston a year ago, and while I haven't made a whole lot of progress because things were just incredibly busy, I know that I'm committed to my bass. Between that, time becoming available, and having the cash available, I pulled the trigger on a Roscoe.

Some may prefer to wait until their skill reaches a certain level. Others prefer to wait until they start doing gigs. Some just buy gear because they can.

Consider your own situation, financially and otherwise, and do what fits your needs.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    When you have enough money!

9. When you change your name to Tom Bowlus.:ninja: :bag:

10. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    If his name was Tom Bowlus, the question wouldn't even have to be asked. Instant purchase! ;)

11. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    When something on your first bass breaks. At least that's how I did it. :smug:

12. I tend to buy instruments when I feel I need it for a particular session/gig... hence why I am a little cautious with dipping into custom territory.

13. When is it your birthday...? - could be a good plot to ask for a MIM P or J...otherwise, just whenever...if you play a better one which sounds or feels better to play, then think about it

Until then just look around loads of guitar shops till one jumps out at you...then buy it if you can afford it.

What you got at the minute?

14. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    Well ma dad bought it for me and not sure when to buy another one,

15. StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Nov 6, 2005
    I would say as soon as you can afford a better bass, one of better quality. That said, you also want to decide if you really want to continue playing bass. A better bass is only as good as the time you put into practicing on it.

Maybe the bass you have now just needs a decent set-up to make it play easier. Done yourself, or spending a few $$ on it may make your bass play better. That can make a big difference sometimes on a starter...but a better bass is a good investment.

Just don't buy something that looks cool, but is not really better than the one you have. Get some advice here on quality basses in your price range. addylewis has good advice about actually playing different basses and cloosing one that you feel comfortable with...but make sure it's a good bass for the money! Having some knowledge about which brands and models are the good ones ahead of time will save you from buying something you won't be happy with when you get it home.

16. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I'd say you should keep playing different basses in music shops when you can. If you find one that really speaks to you where yours doesn't, you'll know it's time.

17. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i played an old Epiphone for a year before a bought another bass.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Currently, I am probably guilty as charged, but for the record, I owned my first bass for about seven years before picking up my second bass (my still much beloved Gibson Thunderbird), and I gigged with the Thunderbird almost exclusively (with my old Lotus - yes, Lotus - as a backup) for another seven years (though I did buy a Gibson Explorer Bass during this time period). So, my point is twofold. One, I should not serve as any kind of a role model when it comes to gear purchasing. And two, you don't need to jump into this game swinging at every pitch. Give yourself some time to figure things out. Not just playing and technique, but what do you really like/dislike in a bass, and what is going to work like me. Take your time, it'll work out for the best that way. :)

Tom.

19. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I never thought I'd see the day.

20. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Well what are you playing now?