Another Battery Problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grunge, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Grunge

Jun 3, 2002
    well, as i said i just bought my BTB this month.....and today when i was checking the batteries i had a big surprise.This bass uses two batteries to work, why????
    I can't understand that, it doesn't keeps any light on...
    so why????
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Some circuits use 18V instead of 9V for more headroom and/or quieter operation.
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Most people brag about their 18 volt bass. You whine about it. Interesting.
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    ...those beloved passive basses!!
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Let's not be swearing in the title, or anywhere else, mmmkay?

However, JMX is right on the money.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    2 bateries = good
    1 batery = okay
    0 bateries = good

7. It's all good, man - it's only an extra battery. Go with the flow - don't question, just accept;)
  8. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    if it's such a big problem, you could always wire a little light bulb to it~ :D
  9. I saw a guy play a concert.....mike...someone (from the amazing meet project). he played an acoustic guitar (i know, i know. it's not bass, but it's related) that had one of those battery-powered dome lights on it. the ones you just tap to turn on and off. it actually had batteries in it. the headliner (miles hunt) broke a string and borrowed it. during the set, he was turning the light on and off. i found it very amusing. it wasn't hooked up to the bass, but it's still an interesting idea......
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Grunge--Angus is right on the money. DO NOT swear in your title, or anywhere else, in your posting. I have edited the title of your thread.

Both of my basses are 18v. I have no problem with it, in fact, when I was shopping for my new Modulus Q5, one of my requirements was for it to have the 18 volt Bart preamp.

So, you are either going to have to live with the fact that your bass has an 18 volt active preamp in it, and replace 2 batteries when needed (hint--only use quality batteries, such as Duracell), or trade it off on a passive bass. Then you will have no more battery problems.
  11. In my opinion, which admittedly isn't worth much, batteries just ain't worth the trouble.

I played a Spector with active EQ for awhile (10 plus years). While it was nice and all, inevitably the battery would start to crap out in the MIDDLE of a set.

A low battery situation sounds like crap. Passive all the way, baby!
  12. jankjo

May 22, 2002
    OR have a passive/active switch or push pull knob so you can use the bass when the batteries go. Bart preamps have this as an option.
  13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i changed my spector to 18 volts!

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im thinking of implementing a 9 volt or 18 volt power source into my bass' design.

At the bass end of the system Im thinking that I should be able to easily wire a midi style ouput jack and cable to cary both the bass' signal and power suply along the same cable, but on seperate leads.

On the amp end of the cable I will have a regular 1/4" bass cable, and the leads that connect to a power sounce that will sit in the amp rack.

This will also leave me with some other leftover leads that I could use to carry the signals from seperate pickups seperately so that I could have the piezo and magnetic pickup signals isolated.

If I later decide I could even boost the power for LEDs or other accessories.

Hows that for a creative solution to the batery problem?!:D

Of course its all theorhetical and I dont know enough about electronics to put this together, but my uncle will help.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I almost forgot!

My bass will have a bypass switch on the Piezo pickup circuit so tht they can be used incase of a failure of the power source.

The pickups are EMG so they will not work with an active passie switch.

16. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    i know i'm chiming in a bit late but, if you don't like the idea/sound you're getting trade it/sell it off & get a passive fender or another passive bass. I like the batteries/active basses since i have the ability to change the sound of my bass differently than i can w/my hands @ the bass [it's great for show choir/marching band]. I use the energizer E 2 batteries in my 5-i like them/think better using those vs. the ultra cheapo ones that you get w/the basses or the reg. alkalines-not something wrong with either i just prefer the E2s. [btw i have 2 9v basses-both my dearmonds] thats all