1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another BEAD thread (sorry)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Finnigan's wake, Jan 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. In few words:

-Schecter Stiletto DLX Diamond Series
    -Rotosound Jazz 77 flatwound monel, .065- .085- .105- .130 (5 string set less the high G)
    -ABM adjustable brass nut and brass saddles as well
    -A nice low action without fret buzzing
    -Ashdown MAG 300 evo II in a cheap 4x10
    -a sturdy plectrum used by me
    -some stoner rock riff

Results: despite the tension is more than acceptable, the low B sounds tragically dull, at the 5th fret the E sounds REALLY different from the open string.
    I tried some eq tweaks but the results are really disappointing.

Some tip? Maybe i must raise or lower the soapbars?

2. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    yeah, try pickup height, see what happens. are you playing through an amp that is capable of reproducing the low B comparable to the other strings?

3. As told in my thread, the amp is a decent Ashdown MAG, i tried to make some eq-adjustments but i think is a strings issue: the fretted E is really muddy, the open E is a NICE open E... Should i rise or lower the pickups?

4. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    it is rare to get a bad string that is brand new. still, it happens. also, if a string is twisted or kinked somehow during installation, that can 'kill' it.

Finnigan's wake likes this.
  5. yodedude2

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    oh hey, i just noticed...flatwounds. i read on the internet somewhere that larger guages of flatwounds can be 'compromised' by the sharp bends from through-body stringing, or even simply going over a bridge saddle. how do the sting windings look at the bridge saddle--are there any large gaps in the winding?

6. ShadowImage

ShadowImage Guest

Jan 12, 2016
    Having a good open E but bad when fretting sounds like an intonation issue. How is you E string on the 5th and 12th frets?

Having tried everything from 37" scale, 0.135 strings, brass nut, hard picks, my opinion is that low B just sounds like mud and always will. Maybe it's not for you. I know now that it's not for me.
    IMO get a Hipshot extender for when you want to go down low. In my experience, even bands who play extended range don't always play every song all the way down at B and when they do it's easy enough to transpose the few notes in question for those particular parts.

7. no gaps, the string is new, installed with care.

seems in tune, the lowB as well

Great stuff: i put an Extender on Blondie, my lovely Mustang Bass and works very well. Anyway i often play on the low register: the BEAD tuning is now my favourite, expecially in my own riffs.

So, this could be a cabinet issue: despite the decent amplifier, my 4x10 is really crappy, a 8ohm cheap "stinger" (???) with cheap speakers.

8. yodedude2

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i would guess not, because you describe such a difference between the fretted 'e' on the 'b string' and the open 'e' through the same cab. otoh, hey, new cab! who doesn't need a new cab?

but it still could be a bad string new from the package. it's happened to me more than once...

9. a new string worth a try: is less expensive than a new (good) cab!
    Thanks mate