Another Beer Thread..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by membranophone, Oct 8, 2003.

1. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I just turned 21 and I'm looking for some good beer suggestions. What does everyone like?

I've found that I tend to prefer Nitro beers like Murphy's, Boddington's, and of course Guinness.

Other favorites include Harp and Newcastle. When I dont have a lot of cash, Shiner Bock (might be hard to find outside of TX) does the trick.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well I can legally drink beer since I was I got my share and it might have less attractivity than for someone who has to wait 5 years longer or pay much more money for it.

Today I tend to drink red wine, at least at home.

I pretty much like any German Pilsners, but especially Weizen. Paulaner Hefeweizen is good.
  3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Genessee Cream Ale was awesome on a budget.
    Rolling Rock make a nice product for the money.
    Newcastle is wonderful, Molson Export Ale and the Labatt Ales rock.

Spatenbrau is a good German import, St Pauli Girl is nice too.

4. Sam Adams is nice, but, they can fill you up pretty fast, as they're very heavy. Same thing goes for Bass Ale.

Corona's getting boring, and I'm actually starting to dislike Bud. I much prefer Michelob, but not every place has it. (it's crisper)

I need a new beer in my life. :(

Mike :D
  5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

This spud's for you ...
    MJ you have a PM coming

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Try them all! And it's just a matter of trial and error. Never stop trying new beer.
    I don't drink anymore but when I did, I drank many diffrent types of brew to find out what I liked and what I did'nt.

Sam adams- any one
    Guinness- black & tans
    Hefenreffer Private stock
    And if you can find it, try some "Crazy horse"
    but be carefull...I've ended up in places where I had no clue as to how I got there!

NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE- Too many people die from stupid judgment. Drinking impairs too many senses. You end up going home with someone you thought was hot....but find out later...once sober, she had a huge hump on her back, with it's own name and zip code.

(Not that I'm speaking from experience. I've never had beer goggles, but I have friends with no morals)
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I worked for a while in a microbrewery... I mostly dislike commercial beer.

I'll buy Watney's, Killian's, Miller Genuine Draft (as tribute to my GrandPop)... in that order.

I get Black & Tans if I'm not getting mixed drinks out and nothing on tap looks good.
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Bass Ale. Not a chewy beer like Stout. But a good hefty drink.

Please use responsibly.:D
  9. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Now there's a good advice. I see Murphy's on your list, good! It's one my favourites - I usually end up drinking atleast couple pints when I go to a bar, as I did today.

Beamish is quite like Murphy's, perhaps bit sweeter though. If you like dark, thick beer - I have no idea what you mean by 'nitros' - I strongly recommend that you try out porters. It's even more thicker and dark than stouts and best of the 'strong' beers, but don't let the 8% alc. vol. fool you, they taste very smooth and rich. One of the best porters is Sinebrychoff which is Finnish(available in USA too), and I also like Saku which is Estonian.

Oh, and if you ever see Irish dark ale called Spitfire, it's excellent stuff - almost black and creamy, quite close to stout. However, there are quite a few British beers labeled "Spitfire", most of them normal ales.

Oh, and as a Finn, I must mention lagers as Finland produces some excellent stuff. Koff(aka Sinebrychoff) and Sandels are good ones.
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I grew up in Rochester (where that stuff is brewed) and drank enough of it to sink a battleship.

I dont miss that stuff at all........
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Hob Goblin ale is the shizzle
  13. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Nitrogenated beer. Needs a special tap and other equipment. The head is composed of mostly nitrogen, making it really thick, almost resembling shaving cream. Because the atmosphere is mostly nitrogen and has relatively little CO2, the liquid/vapor equilibrium for nitrogenated beers doesn't favor the vapor phase as much as the liquid/vapor equilibrium for regular CO2 beers. Thus the nitrogen tends to stay in the liquid-gas colloidal head for a longer period of time than CO2 will. So the head tends to be a lot creamier and lingers longer before escaping to the environment.

If you've ever had a can of beer with one of those 'widget' things inside, you've had a nitrogenated beer. The widget contains a small bladder with a volume of liquid nitrogen at a high pressure. As soon as the can opens, the bladder bursts, and the nitrogen instantly boils. Kinda neat, huh?
  14. I'm a lager man through and through. Although I have tried some ales and bitters and they are OK to drink.

Not really fond of stouts at all.....

Caffrey's is a nice change though.

Generally fond of German lagers. Ones actually brewed in Germany, not the stuff that is brewed under lisence in England somewhere - although that can be nice (but not as nice as the real thing).

Beck's is my personal favourite, and on my one visit to Germany I found Flensburger - which was real nice (haven't seen it over here though!)
  15. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    This stuff is awesome and only 16 bucks a case [​IMG]

I also love any products by [​IMG]
  16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Budvar (Czech Budweiser or something like that), Tuborg and Newcastle Brown Ale are pretty good.
  17. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I forgot to add

And [​IMG]
  18. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Drink less beer, but when you do, spring for the best. There's a fascinatingly wide world of beer out there (parallelling the world of basses :) - especially from Belgium & Germany. Try Schneider Hefeweizen & Aventinus; Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier; Liefmans Goudenband; Trappistes Rochefort 8 & 10,Chimay Bleu;Holsten Maibock;Hoegaarden Witbier; Mort Subite Geuze; Barbar...
  19. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    For a pilsner, the hands down winner, IMHO is 'ole number '33' - Rolling Rock

For a stout beer, I prefer Guiness, but only if it's on tap. I've never cared much for the canned stuff.

For something in between it's gotta be Newcastle brown ale.