1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another beginner truss rod question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassnyc1, Aug 21, 2012.

1. So the big rule is "tighty righty, lefty loosy"

Please don't laugh but I get confused as to which way is which.

Turning towards the G string is right or left?
    Turning towards the E string is right or left?

Finally, whether or not the truss rod adjusting nut is at the headstock or the heel of the neck, is right and left the same or opposite?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.....

2. rollin$tone

rollin$tone Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    If you are moving your wrench from a leftward position towards your right, (from the aspect that you are looking straight on toward the trussrod), then you will be tightening. And visa-versa when loosening. This is assuming that your instrument is not some rare build with a truss rod with reverse threading. If it's a popular brand, (Fender, Squire, Gibson, Epiphone, Hofner, Rickenbacker, etc., you should be correct in doing above said. And it doesn't matter whether it adjusts on the headstock or the heel of the neck, if you are facing whichever end of the neck, left to right will be tightening with the wrench moving clockwise. Hope this helps.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The view is from the top of rotation. In other words: Clockwise=Right(y tighty).

It does not matter where the adjusting nut is located.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Not so rare really - some Warwicks, most Pedullas are reverse.

5. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    If the rod works then have a look at the gap & make a 1/4 turn in either direction then you'll have your answer. I think it's better to see 100% with your own eyes rather than doing a larger adjustment based on what truss rod some people think is in your instrument.

6. Thanks everyone for the replies. They are all helpful.

Unfortunately, I'm still a bit confused because of this video:

If you watch it, he descibes right and left the OPPOSITE of the way that all of you did.....or maybe I'm just stupid?

Comments?

7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The instructions showing how to adjust the truss rod on a Tele neck in the early part of the video is in agreement with what you have been told here.

Clockwise = Right
    Counter-clockwise = Left.

No other way to explain it.

As Turnaround points out, there are a few exceptions.

8. I guess what's confusing me is that he's showing the tele neck with the headstock towards the camera. If you were to approach the guitar/bass from the other side (bass lying down with the body closest to you) then it would be opposite of what he says. Does that make sense?

9. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Why would anyone twist a nut from the other side when the nut end is available? It creates unneeded confusion.

Look at the nut. Clockwise = Right. Right = Tight. Tight = less front bow. Nothing else to discuss.

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Put the nut near your head, adjust position of the bass so rod is not near your head and pointing straight away from your head.

Right= tight
    Left=loose.

Learn how nuts, bolts and screws work. If the ladies don't find you handsome, you should at least be handy. Keep your stick on the ice.

11. Put down the instrument and go get a nut and bolt (same size & thread).

Hold the bolt with the head away from you and the threads toward you.

While keeping the bolt stationary in that position, thread the nut onto it.

You are now tightening it on.

Notice that the nut is turning clockwise (right) as you tighten it.

Now remove (loosen) the nut. It's turning counter-clockwise (left).

There you go.