Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another behringer thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miccheck1516, Oct 7, 2003.

1. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    I was just on the behringer website and noticed this(see picture) So, on the left it shows that the minimum permitted impendance is 2ohms. So if i ran it at two ohms and it blew up i would be ok?
    Also, what would be its power output at 2ohms? its 300w at 4ohms, thanks.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hahaha, did you read the sentence above?

This effectively limits it to 4 ohms, since there are no 2 ohm cabs.

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    what about two 4 ohmns speakers? that is the same as a two ohm load...........

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It says:

If several speakers are used in parallel, the total impedance should not drop below 4 ohms.

So you should not do that.

5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    yes, but, two four ohm cabs gives an impendance of 2ohms, so if you can run one 2 ohm cab, why cant you run two four ohm cabs? It is essentially the same thing, does two four ohm cab not equal two ohms??
    I dont know a whole load about electronics

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You're right, I guess since 2 cabs in parallel are a more complex load than one, the amp is not really stable in 2 ohm load.

So it's a marketing trick, but I don't get why they do it - or do people out there really buy amps because they run 2 ohm loads, or because of the power rating @ 2 ohms?

7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    im inteneding in buying it no matter what, ohh also, would i be able to use a seperate power amp with the behringer, and use it as a preamp, if i ever needed more power?

The ony reason i ask about the 2ohm thing is cos i dont know if i should get one cab at 4 or 8 ohms, if it will run ok on 2ohm loads then ill do that, just wanted to throw that at you guys first, i might see if i can send behringer a wee e-mail...

8. My suggestion is if you plan on running two cabs in the future, then get an 8 ohm cab. This is mainly because you don't know whether you're going to be using the Behringer in the future. You might just want to change heads, or go with a different setup. And that setup might not let you go with two 4 ohm cabs.

And that line about 2 ohms is confusing.

"If several speakers are used in parallel, the total impedance should not drop below 4 ohms!"

"The minimal permitted impedance is 2 ohms!"

Do they mean the minimal permitted impedance for the Behringer head, or do they mean in general? :) If Behringer doesn't list the number of watts it handles at 2 ohms than most likely it isn't safe to run it at 2 ohms.

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    thats not true..if they say that the miminal is 2 ohms. than go for it

steve

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i just dont' see why it can't be two cabs..but it can be one...
    two 4 ohm 4x10's
    or one cab with 8x10

or a 4x10 and a 1x15

or one cab with 4x10 and 1x15...
    no differnece

i wouldn't hesistate to run one 4 ohm cab and one 8 ohm..except for the fact that the 4 ohm cab will be louder

steve

11. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Yeh the line isnt very clear at all

12. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    @Steve- If i was going to have two cabs ill want to to have them the same impendance, i dont want one cloud being louder than the other

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    email Behringer -- ask them if the warranty covers 2 ohm loads, then go for it.

14. I agree with this. If their warranty covers it, then by all means feel free to try it. I wouldn't try it until that's known because the line in the manual is not clear at all. If you run it at 2 ohms and blow something up, don't expect to be able to put up a good fight if their warranty doesn't cover it, just because of a seemingly random line in the manual. Most amp companies say that some of their products DO NOT support 2 ohms even though some are known to work at that load. And if they say it does, they clearly state so along with how many watts of power. Peavey Firebasses are a good example.

Though I'm kind of wondering why you want to run the cabs at 2 ohms without knowing how many watts. 300 watts at 4 ohms seems pretty good. But more power is always good I guess. Make sure to ask the service rep how many watts it's rated @ 2ohms to see if it's worth it.

15. Dude,get two 4 ohm cabs(18's) and blow that mother up!

:)

16. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    from my very first post

17. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    500W or less.

18. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Also, what about using teh behringer as a power amp, can i run a line out of the behringer into a power amp to a cabnet, or do i need to have the head plugged into something to stop it from blowing

19. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can run it without speaker load.

20. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    anyone know if i can use this as a pre-amp, thanks v. much for all the help so far JMX and everyone else