1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another Best Amp Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by btmendenhall, Jul 18, 2012.

1. btmendenhall

btmendenhall

Jul 18, 2012
    Im new to the forum and read several threads on "best amp for your buck" etc. But, didnt find what i was looking for.

I am in the market for an amp with the following criteria:

-all tube
    -under $500
    -less than 100W. I play on a small stage with IEMs, so stage volume is a problem
    - combo or stack is fine
    - style is progressive

Hoping you guys dont mind helping out the new guy.:bag:

2. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I guess buy a bear paw head given your criteria

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Epiphone Valve Juniors are nice. Old Traynor YBA-2B combo. Ampeg VT-40 and VT-22 are beyond your budget, but I love those combos.

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Well, meeting those criteria would be nice, but...AFAIK, it won't happen.

Dan K.

5. Traynor YBA1a Bassmaster 90 watts. Usually seen for $400-500.
    Traynor YBA3 Custom Special 135 watts. Also goes for $500 or so.
    however both of these models are pretty vintage sounding with a lack of the kind of sub bass frequencies that modern bassists like.
    Alos, you might find some old Musicman or Fender Bassman/Showman heads for cheap.
    But you still need to budget for a cabinet.

6. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Realistically, at this budget, I'd get a GK combo or an Ampeg PF head + cab and call it a day.

7. btmendenhall

btmendenhall

Jul 18, 2012
    Alex, there were a ton of vintage PF's on eBay recently for super cheap. I missed the deal but might wait it out and see if something else comesu up.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I picked up my Egnater Tweaker-40 for under your budget, you would still need a cabinet to go with it.

It's all tube with a pair of 6L6 and a couple 12AX7... and has a very bass friendly and versatile EQ section.

9. Fender Bassman 20

18 watt tube combo with a single 15.

10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    A very good deal on an Ampeg Portaflex might work for you. I picked up an SB-12 for $500 before.

11. btmendenhall

btmendenhall

Jul 18, 2012
    I ended up in the completely opposite direction. lol. Since i dont need any stage volume and i already have an iPad, i went with this little nugget. It will be great for home recording and live audio.

http://www.alesis.com/iodock

[​IMG]

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    -If you're on a small stage and using IEMs, do you really need any stage volume?

-If you're using IEM's, and have good FOH, are you looking for something tube that acts as a DI instead of an amp? Because you can find some nice tube DI's out there and that might be a better solution rather than carting around an amp that you really don't want to hear anyway.

13. Ashdown Little Bastard? 30 watts.

You'll still need a cab.

14. as long as it doesnt crash.