1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

another "best bass for me" type thread.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by choo5, Apr 2, 2009.

1. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    im sure your all tired of these by now...

either way: situation is that iv owned and played around 15 basses and tend to buy/sell often switching between various instruments (flavor of the month type deal) & its time for me to settle down with one instrument.

iv narrowed it down to the following three however build location in relation to budget is a concern that im yet to address.

bass #1: Vintage Peavey T-40 bass.
    mate of mine had one for a few years, nice enough bass with pretty extensive tone possibility... getting one at a "fair" price is a bit of a pain though (theres a few around, but too expensive for what they are imo).

bass #2:
    Fender Jazz
    I owned one of these (mexican) for a few years, the skunk stripe started to migrate; I ended up trading it on.

I did like it though, the body seemed a little large (im a lanky stick figure) and the knobs confused me a bit (dyslexia)

bass #3:
    Fender P
    I'v only ever played a squier P, I rather liked the neck profile and the way it hangs on a strap, tone was good but a bit "mono-tone"

now im semi-set on these basses and wanted opinions: I admit 100% iv fallen into the "brand label" trap but its definately a + when you attend a audition to show your committed (adversely I could show up with a bacchus and have people think its some worthless chinese bass).

I tend to play all styles of music, however my choice for bands is typicaly punk/rock and occasionaly metal.

Choice for manafacture location is kinda tricky, I don't want another MIM fender: I will not be buying another bass ever (hopefuly) and I hope when i'm an old old man I can pass it onto kids or sell it to invest in their future; that leaves MIJ or MIA (well highway1, probably cant afford a genuine MIA).

budget
    AUD: $1,000
    USD: $700 (before shipping aka: $550-$600USD)
    YEN: $70,000 (AKA: ~55,000 +shipping from Ishibashi)

2. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    surely someone has some recommendation for me?

theres a natural jazz with tort pickguard at a local music shop; japanese body, seymore duncan pickups & a USA neck...

tempting but if I buy a instrument i'm keeping for a long ass time i'd probably want something original... $1,100AUD is probably a bit too steep in my opinion for an unoriginal bass aswel.

3. Are you sure you don't know which one you want already?

People here will "recommend" what they would choose based on their prefs, but they're not you. If you're not sure about any of them - maybe it's the one you haven't found yet.

4. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Out of the three, which one is most comfortable to play?

Also, I suggest trying a more high-end P-Bass. You can't really test the "P" sound with a budget bass....

5. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    i'm leaning towards the P-Bass to be honest, but iv never played a "real" P.

and theres none in my area either, if I travel I can probably find a mexican to have a play with but thats about it.

the best P I can play in person is a mexican, im thinking I might ring a few music shops and see if I can find a highway1 or japanese P to have a doodle on... i'l definately have to travel just to play one I don't intend on buying though :(

6. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Of your three choices, I would choose the P-bass.
    Have you given any thought about a G&L SB-2? I have been playing on 2 P-basses and recently picked up a Tribute SB-2. I may never want to play a P-bass again. I am loving the feel and tone of it, kind of an unique rawness. I am really digging it. JMO

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Well, if I was going to narrow it down to just one of those three basses, it would be either the Jazz or the P. Nothing against the T-40. I've owned one of those, along with a bunch of Precisions and Jazzes. The T-40 was simply not as comfortable as the other two (at least for me). It is very heavy.

Conversely, a nice Jazz or P just feels as comfortable as a pair of faded jeans to me. Of those two, I can't pick a favorite. It all depends on which day you ask me. ;)

8. Get a PJ. That way you have more versatility than just the one P pickup.

9. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    I found a local store that had some G&L basses, one korean and one US, I played both and was quite happy to walk away without either: not that they are a bad instrument... just not my thing.

im so vein... I can't stand PJ guitars, I like to either have my set of J's or a single P (or soapbars of some type :p)

I almost pulled the trigger on a sunburst MIJ P I saw on ebay... but it appeared to have alot of fret wear... thats $500 right there for replacement :\

10. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    yeah, I was starting to think the T-40 might be a bit heavy for live play; concidering I promised my girlfriend this will likely be the last bass I buy for 20 years.... this one HAS to do it all pretty much:help:

11. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    this t40 fits your budget ships worldwide and if u treat it good will rise in value
    http://cgi.ebay.com/19-USA-PEAVEY-T...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

now a p bass is a nice bass MIM is pretty good but check this custom shop pick ups bad ass 2 bridge worldwide shipping bid !!! man i love the color
    http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-MIKE-DIR...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

thats aboit it on the ebay but good choices eithier wayy i would go for the p bass tho looks killer