Another blown speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dawyeah, Dec 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dawyeah

Dawyeah

Oct 20, 2016
    So I have a GK 700 rbII. and a p-bass and an active 5 string. And It blew out 3 speakers in an axl faultline supposedly 600watt rms cab. Granted that cab was a piece of junk so I wasn't that surprised.

So I picked up a Rumble 410 V2 500watt rms and it sounded fine for maybe 2-3 hours of use over the last month. In my bedroom. I went to play it today and it kept rattling. Ive narrowed it down to the top right speaker. If I rest my hand gently on the cone it stops.

So I took the speaker out and gently pressed and prodded everywhere with my flashlight and I cant find anything unglued or damaged. Pressing on the cone doesn't grind or scratch. Pretty sure it is blown though.

Am I doing something wrong? how can I blow 4 speakers in 2 high watt cabs at bedroom levels?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  2. How is your eq?
    Too much bass can easily blow out a speaker no matter the wattage.

SunnBass and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  3. Dawyeah

Dawyeah

Oct 20, 2016
    EQ is flat with the presence turned up quite a bit.

4. Maybe you blew up the first but 2nd cab speaker was loose? Try putting it back.

But my idea of bedroom level shouldn't bother any gigging cab whatever the knob positions.

Maybe your amp puts out some DC?

5. Dawyeah

Dawyeah

Oct 20, 2016
    That's what gets me... I was watching tv while I was playing, in an apartment.

Maybe my expectation of 500watts is off. But I would think there should be serious hearing damage and neighbors knocking on my door/wall long before blowing speakers became an issue.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    If it's a new cabinet and you are in the US, you might want to put it back together and take it to a Fender authorized service center for a proper diagnosis and repair. It has a 5 year warranty, transferrable if there's an original sales receipt.

(assuming it wasn't abused)

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    As was mentioned, the speaker fasteners could have just been loose. Environmental factors affect the expansion and contraction of wood. Fasteners can loosen because of dryness in the winter. Sometimes they need tightening.

8. Dawyeah

Dawyeah

Oct 20, 2016
    I don't know how old it is, and there's no receipt. :( looks like a new speaker is around $130 and I'm not finding any used ones.

The five strings are a Ibanez srx-705 and a peavey fury v. Neither one has numbered knobs so I keep it all on full with the bass rolled off a quarter turn so it's not too boomy.

I also keep the 5-string button on the amp pressed, and use the input pad -10db for the active pups, and keep the input at noon so theres no preamp clip.

Beans I took the speaker out and bench tested it. it's actually coming from the speaker itself unfortunately.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    beans-on-toast likes this.
  9. The 5 string setting on the GK was a well thinking error of judgement from them. All that extra power going into sub lows has killed many cabs not designed to take it.

wave rider, SunnBass and smogg like this.
  10. Active bass, high db eq ,high gain=blown speaker.

wave rider likes this.
  11. petey293

petey293

Dec 30, 2013
    Rapid City, SD
    I don't know about your ibanez but all the active bass EQs I've encountered are boost/cut with a flat detent in the middle. If you're running all knobs at full with the bass rolled off a quarter turn, you're still boosting everything. This alone might not blow anything, just something to take into consideration.

12. Dawyeah

Dawyeah

Oct 20, 2016
    I just looked up how this works and I think you're right there. it moves the rolloff down to 30hz. I can't imagine a lot of cabs are designed to take that abuse.

The way they describe it in the manual, I thought it was cutting low frequencies to balance the big b string... I think i'm going to leave that button popped out.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022