Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another boring Sadowsky thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjones, Jun 25, 2005.

1. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Went into the studio Saturday to work on an interesting modern rock project. I was using an Aguilar 680 pre into the power section of an Acoustic Image Clarus into my Accugroove Tri 112. The bass I was using was my Sadowsky NYC Vintage PJ. We miced the cab and also took it direct out of the back of the Aggie. The engineer said during the first run-through he was going to listen to the straight sound of the bass first before potting up the mic on the cabinet.

He listened to the sound of the PJ for about a minute, came out, and took away the mic. He said, "The way that bass sounds by itself, we don't need to mess it up with anything else."

Gotta love that Sadowsky tone.

The first song was very driving, high energy. I had the pickup selection right in the middle for maximum guts with cut. Just a little touch of the treble rolled off, with the active controls bass up about 25%, treble up maybe 10%. Great bottom, very obvious in the mix without being dominating. (BTW, the nickels are definitely bright enough for me.)

The second song was a more moderate, what we used to call a "slow dance song" back when I had hair. Rolled the VTC off about 50%, used a lot more of the P than the J, and we had a nice solid sound under beautiful piano and strong vocals. I know people keep posting to excess about Sadowskys, but there is a reason that happens a lot.

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I always thought Rogers PJ's were the sleeper of his line up.

If I can't get a good tone out of mine.......wait...that's never happened...never mind.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

LOL. They really do shine where it really counts. On stage and on tape. 'Nuff said

Rob

4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    so sadowksys sit well in the mix, eh? i've never heard that before ;)

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I did some recording last week and my Sadowsky Vintage 4 was so well balanced and strong it didint need to go through the compressor. :bassist:

6. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Ditto for me as well, Major. I really do make it a point to try to do all my control of dynamics with my fingers. On playback, there were one or two occasions where I could have been less aggressive, but no big deal.

As for the instrument, I totally agree: no wolf tones, no dead spots, just fine sound up and down the fingerboard.

Major, let us know when your stuff is released, I'd love to hear what you're working on.

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Did a corporate gig last night that Adrian Garcia was also on. He let me try his Sadowsky Tokyo Jazz 5. This is the first Sadowsky I'd ever tried and, although I didn't like the B string as much as my Lakland (the string may have been a little dirty as the other 4 sounded/played fine), I must say the bass felt great.

Also had the opportunity to listen to it (while Adrian played) in the cans, soloed, at the mixing board. Notes on the B string still sounded a little dull but the tone overall was excellent.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've been using my P5 almost exclusively since I got it. Playability is amazing... second only to MTD 535. Tone is big and warm... and I'm sure that has as much to do with the bass as it does my Read Purity preamp and Bergantino speakers! I typically run my P5 in passive mode. Boosting treble and bass in active mode makes the bass sound too modern for blues/classic rock, but I'm sure that's how I'll use it with my modern rock band.

9. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA

Change this to P/j4 and it might as well be my post (though no MTD here).

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Thanks again for all the sound reinforcement help, bro!
    Had i known you were going to be listening to me soloed in the cans, i would have brought my AutoCorrect Quantizing pedal ( it fixes mistakes and wrong notes ) and my Blame Shifter ( when i mess up it makes it sound like the guitarist did i ) SORRY! next time, I promise!
    I may even bring my iBass ( a new bass from Apple that downloads the charts directly from the internet so i can play any tune in 2 minutes even if i have no idea how it goes ( i needed that for those new tunes Bruce threw at us on the spot)
    Funny, i like the B on the Sad- but I was wanking away at hi volumes so i lost the nuances- that being said, Laklands have fantastic lo b's- remember, they have a 35 in scale, which helps the b -
    Here is the thing, to me, its not that the Sadowsky is better than other top basses, I still love my AM lx Jazz 5 , which i an reluctantly selling ( i need to recover some $ spent on the Sad ) but it juts fits so nicely into 99% of the stuff i do- now, if i was doing a jazz trio thing and soloing a lot, i would probably use the F bass- because i can get around better on that- but for supporting roles, it's fat, meaty and just sits very nicely-
    Since it arrived, it has been the only bass i have gigged with- mainly to get used to it, but also because i am diging that vibe and the 70's kinda thing it has going on-
    always a pleasure to work with ya, bro! hope to do it again soon- A

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah finger dynamic is pretty importent, i hope to get the final takes on this song after i get a new set of Sadowsky nickles and some TLC Wednesday. :hyper:

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Can I get some of those?? Do you sell them???;) :D
    Get used to that (with Bruce).:eyebrow: :D