Another brand name question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbo, Aug 30, 2000.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

In my pursuit of being a better bass player, years ago I bought my bass and a starter amp (Peavey 65-watt combo), and consciously decided to ignore all the "techie stuff," just so I could concentrate on theory and technique. The problem is, as I've gotten better and better, now I'm playing more and more, and playing gigs more and more. The amp I bought almost a year ago, (a Carvin PB200-15, a 160W combo), just doesn't seem to have the punch I need. No matter how I play with my levels, I'm overdriving and clipping the thing when my band really turns it out.

I want to buy a head/cab setup, but since I neglected ever learning much about the technical side, I have very little idea what to get. I play jazz, blues, rock, funk, alternative, and whatever else we're in the mood for, and I need a lot fuller, rounded, warm sound, that's also punchy when needed, and clear on the higher tones. Do I need 300 Watts, or will I outgrow that? Is 600 enough, or will I ultimately want to go up to 1000? Right now we're playing bars and clubs, with crowds not much more than 200 ever.

Does Carvin make a good enough product, I love their basses? Is there something else you can suggest? People seem to love Eden. I'm leaning towards 2X10s or a 4X10.

Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions, but everyone is always so knowledgable and helpful, I figured I'd rack your brains.
  2. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I've always been told that for clubs you'll want about 200 watts minimum. I have a friend that plays in a fairly large club with a Hartke 3500 (350 watts) through a Hartke 215 (2x15") and I haven't heard him complain at all about not having enough power. Personally, I'd go with as much power as I could get for what you want to spend. I can't imagine a club that would require 1000 watts, but maybe that's just me. I think around 400-600 should do fine.

I keep hearing great things about Eden as well. Sorry, haven't heard much or had any experience with Carvin gear.
  3. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I agree with White Knight.
    I felt a little underpowered with my 200W head, now I have a 400W head and I'm perfectly happy.

Regarding brands and setups:
    It's a question of taste and budget only you can decide.
    I would suggest to read similiar threads to get a good overwiew.
    Also keep your eyes open what others bassists use.

4. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    i think 400 watts and a good 2X10 should be enough. i would suggest trying to find a used head--check bassnw or harmony-central classifieds. i bought my sm-400 used from bass northwest 3 years ago, and it's given me nothing but good sound. (at less than half the new price)
  5. Go with as much power as you can afford. You'll be happy to have a little headroom.

Woof Man Out