Another brilliant thread brought to you by StupidMatt®

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but not too recently at least. Alright, lets pretend you are around a complete moron who looks at you and says, "Duuuuuhhllllllrrhhhhrrrr what does the bass do?" And you didn't have your bass around, but you had access to any song in the entire world, what song would you use to define the bass.

My choice (for now) "The Real Me" by The Who. Why? Well The Ox's bassline is just so insane, yet he is still holding the song together. It remains rhythmic while being lead esque. THAT'S cool.

Alright, your turn.
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    This thread, unlike many stupidmatt threads, is very uncool.

jeez, hit and a miss....thats gotta hurt.

(It's late, what am I doing? I don't know, why is their life? lets all eat cream pies and be happy)
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Where is the middle finger smiley when you need it. Lets count all the worthwhile Pollybass threads there have been lately... OK I'm done. :spit:

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I didn't know quite what to search for. I mean... I could have searched for something like "Bass line" but I don't know how well that would have worked.
  5. Well, for intros...Running with the Devil, Jet City Woman, Hand of Doom, Wraithchild, Around the World...

Or play them a bass solo by any of the players out there. Maybe Show of Hands CD by Victor Wooten....

Hope this helps....
  6. I'd play a song w/o bass...

I think they'll get the idea.

7. Id play "Bernadette" or anything else with Jamerson on it.
  8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Another one bites the dust - Queen

that's a pretty common song with a fairly recognizable bassline
  9. TNJ

Mar 5, 2003
    Teen Town- Weather Report
  10. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    yes - long distance runaround. thats what bass does for a song.
  11. You didn't read Matt's post very well..."a complete moron" wouldn't get the point. They would then say "Gggaaaahhhhmmmnnn. mE dOn,t no if me likE dat sung. Aaahhh."

My anwser would be "Go jump off a tall building, you dufus.":D But if I was in the mood to answer their question I would say "It's a guitar that goes boom boom boom instead of twang twang twang. Now, go drive your car off of a bridge, you waste of air. But be careful not to hurt anyone else.":p
    Living in Pittsfield I have known alot of very dumb people and chance are the person asking me would be someone whom I went to school with and really dislike. And they would probaly think that I would like to be friends with them for some reason.
  12. TNJ

Mar 5, 2003
    How's about the theme from 'Seinfeld'
    or "Radar Love" by Golden Earring?

Those are both pretty bass-ic ideas of what the bottom should sound like.
  13. TNJ

Mar 5, 2003
    ...or, finally...dont give them a song at all.
    Just look at them with a pair of glazed eyeballs, and say, "The thing's gotta hemi...".

That should do it. :D
  14. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    if a moron asked what a keyboard does then the seinfeld theme is excellent ;)
  15. should i let jazzbo say it....?

"kiss" by prince:cool:
  16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My choice would be
    3/5's of a Mile in 10 Seconds
    Airplane/Casady - live
    from 'Bless Its Pointed Little Head'

Stupid Matt, dig that cut up and see if you would agree ...not to take anything away from the ox, mind you...
    On with the show,
    Currently reading MOON - the biography of
    Keith Moon.
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

On the subject of Yes, the first time I heard "Heart of The Sunrise" my jaw hit the floor and my pants became filled with chocolate pudding... I'm not sure how that happened, but that is a good example of some damn fine bass.

Just to clear up the confusion I didn't want this to be a "best bassline ever" thread. I meant it more to be a "the defining bassline" thread, which can be the same, or can be different. I dunno. I think it can be, I don't consider "The Real Me" techincally as good as lets say "Portrait of Tracy" but I consider it more definitive of the bass. Hmmm.

18. Joe Dirt!
  19. now that's what Joe dirt would have said.
  20. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU