Another Bronco pickup thread

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wunnorf, Feb 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. I know there are dozens of threads on here detailing various pickup options for replacing the cheap Stratocaster pickup in the Bronco bass but I thought I would start another one because I can't find any reference to the pickup I'm considering using. I was partly looking for a short scale neck to use on an experimental project and the Bronco neck will do for that, but I quite like the whole bass, so in the mean time I might try a pickup swap (or two). I'm going to order a few pickups from GFS so as not to spend too much money on this. From reading other threads it seems like the middle position Li'l Killer humbucker rail is a reasonable choice with several wiring options. The middle position lipstick pickup also seems to get used a bit and looks great.

What I would really like to try is the equivalent of a vintage single coil P bass pickup. I know a standard SCP pickup doesn't fit through the pick guard without modding it and the pole pieces don't line up unless you slant it. I know that there are several SCP type pickups on the market designed to fit the Bronco/Musicmaster, but by the time they are shipped to New Zealand they cost nearly as much as the bass. What I am wondering about is the middle position '60s-70s-Grey-Bottom-Non-Stagger-Overwound-Stratreg--MAX-Power'. There are some similarities between this pickup and a Seymour Duncan SCPB-1. Both use Alnico 5 magnets and both have similar DC resistance (SCPB-1 is 8.1kΩ, the GFS Strat maxpower is 8kΩ). I think they are both wound with 42 gauge wire, but the proportions are slightly different. Without a cover on it might look a little odd with six pole pieces, but I could live with that (or put the bronco cover over it).

Has anyone tried one of these in a Bronco or a Musicmaster? Is this pickup likely to sound anything like a SCPB-1 in this application? I guess it's only $24 to try it, and adding it to my order doesn't change the shipping cost.

UMA1 and GotRoot? like this.
  2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Any updates to your research?

3. Hi

I ended up ordering a Li'l Killer and the Grey bottom. I now have two Broncos. The Li'l killer is in the first one with a humbucker-single coil switch. That certainly gives two distinct sounds. In single coil mode it it very similar to the stock pickup, but not as loud.
    I put the grey bottom pickup into a Bronco that I quite heavily modified. I have posted photos of the two of them before that you should be able to find. The modified one is yellow with a single coil P bass/tele bass aesthetic. The pickup mostly sound like a hotter version of the original. I don't really have a good reference to know how close it sounds to an SCPB. I guess for completeness I need to get one of those :) It sounds good and is quite responsive to changes in picking position and dynamics. I like it. It hums a bit more than I would like at the moment - I need to disassemble the bass and sort out the cavity shielding a bit better. At the moment it has the bronco pickup cover painted black with some aluminum foil dots stuck on as fake pole pieces. I don't know if I can link to the other thread, but you should be able to find it.

If you search for "My two broncos" you should find it.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022