1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another Building a home recording system thread...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by freddylang, Mar 29, 2005.

1. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    Okay. I've done moderate research and here is where I am. I am building a sytem for home recording. (Mostly 4 and 5 man rock bands but I also want ability to record more instruments, vocals, etc. when necessary.)

I am building a completely new PC and this is what I am imagining so far:

Intel P4 3.0 GHz
    2 GB RAM
    80-120 GB hard drive (Think I'm gonna get the 120.)
    DVD/CDRW combo drive
    ASUS P4-800 motherboard (hyperthreading) with 8 USB, 2 IEEE ports (The motherboard is not etched in stone yet.)

Soundcards are where I become most perplexed because there are so many opinions.

From my research so far I am considering:

M-audio delta 1010 PCI digital audio system
    EMU 1820M Master Level Recording System (This looks like a nice package.)
    Possibly something from MOTU (I've heard good things.) But does the MOTU stuff actually have a self-contained soundcard or is it just the recording system without the card?

Also do the soundcards above come with software good enough for me to use or am I gonna have to opt for Sonar, Pro Tools, Cubase, or even Tracktion?

A key thing for me as I have to have easily accessible I/O's, midi, etc. Absolutely no plugging into the back of the box! I've done it for too long.

I think I am fairly on the right track and am fairly literate in pcs. (Have used Cakewalk, soundforge with soundblaster live for 5+ years. I am just out of the loop on the new stuff.) Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

I just realized this post was in the wrong @#$% place! Sorry!