1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Cab for GK CX410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassintheTRUNK, Dec 5, 2017.

1. BassintheTRUNK

BassintheTRUNK

Sep 20, 2017
    New to TB and pairing up cabs as well. I am looking for options to pair with my GK CX410, this is a great cab, but I am looking to push more air. I was looking to see if I should pair up with another CX410, which is the most expensive route; or should I consider just adding a CX115 or possibly the CX210. I am running my 410 with a MB500 and it is an 8ohm cab. Thanks for taking a look at my post and any input is appreciated.

2. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    The general consensus around here is a matched pair of cabs stacked vertically will yield the best results, but a mix can sometimes work, too.

A 1x15 or 2x10 paired with a 4x10 of the same impedance will split the power 50/50 between the cabs, which can potentially exceed the handling capability of the smaller cab. There also may be weird phasing/frequency cancellation issues depending on where you stand in the room.

I would choose to either purchase a second CX410 for an 8x10 stack or a pair of CX210 cabs for a vertical 4x10. With the 2x10 cabs on their side, it would be about the same height as the pair of 4x10 cabs, so either way you'll hear yourself better and get a 4 ohm load for the full headroom of your MB500.

Bass_Pounder and Gearhead17 like this.
  3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Do you like the tone of the GK CX410?

Al Kraft and Kro like this.
  4. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Another cx210 or cx410 should do it.

5. BassintheTRUNK

BassintheTRUNK

Sep 20, 2017
    I like the mid tone, but just lacking the low punch, thats why I was kinda looking to possibly pair a 115 with it for balance.

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    15 loaded cabs don't automatically add low end and the 410/15 pairing is not optimal. Check out the various "Mixing Cabs" threads for more info. You can certainly try mixing those cabs, but I can't guarantee it will sound good. I suggest trying out some other cabinets and find one that you like a lot more. One 410 should be giving you the tone you like, while two identical 410's will simply give you more of that same tone, but with more volume and projection.

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. BassintheTRUNK

BassintheTRUNK

Sep 20, 2017
    Thanks for pointing me into the right direction, I will look into the Mixing Cab thread.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  8. I’m sorry but this is a myth. There are 1x15 cabs that will give you more lows and there are 1x15 cabs that will give you more mids and highs. The output from a typical 1x15 is about equal to a 2x10. Paired to a 4x10 is becomes a limiting factor to total system performance.

If you want more than a single cabinet gives you a second identical cabinet will give you twice as much of what you like. It’s the safest route to follow.

Pairing a 2x10 with your 4x10 you will need a 2x10 that has twice the impedance of your 4x10 so 16Ω. This way all of the drivers in either cabinet will see the same amount of power.