1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(another) cab rehab thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I'm a sucker for a bargain, a project, and old cabs in need of some TLC, so I thought I'd share my most recent project.

I snagged an old ACME low b2 on craigslist. Fully functional, but it looked a little rough from so many years of gigging NYC & NJ. The original plan was to use it a little, see how I like acme, and then sell it off like so many others before.

I ended up liking it- really LOVING it- paired w/ my current cab(s) that I decided to keep it until I cobble together a proper sub to replace it.

"Before" shot, which actually makes it look good. the carpet was worn, front rusty, and the metal was a hazard.

AcmeBefore1.

I pulled the carpet off, yanked the metal edges, and disassembled the cab to satisfy my curiosity.

ACMEdisassmble3.

The beast
    acmeinside4.

3/4" ply with THICK bracing along and opposing walls. The vaunted "stressed" bracing can be seen inside
    acmeinside1.

xover
    Acmexover.

I used a heavy wire brush left over from a patio cleaning job to scrape the grill. I considered going w/a chrome spray (ala old school Bergs) but opted for simple black.

I then sprayed it with 2 coats of "high heat radiator" paint- flat black. I ran out and had some drips, so I finished witha gloss coat of krylon glossy black. I picked these since they were the only black spray cans I had in the shed.

ACMEgrillsprayed.

I really wanted to oil finish the wood (like the oiled BagEnds James Hart has shown off here!) but the wood was really sub par w/all of the tack & screw holes, that blasted glue, and a bunch of other imperfections.

Durams (sp?) water putty left over from the 70's was used to fill screw and nail holes. I just didnt feel like messing w/bondo, and the putty was almost empty anyway.

There were some cab wall misalignments not seen w/ the carpet on, (see pic) so I hit them w/ 40 grit on the vibratory sander. Not perfect, but not bad. I dont own a router (yet).

ACMEsanding0.

I had some help with the final sanding

ACMEsanding1.

ACMEsanding2.

ACMEsanding3.

Oil based BIN primer was brushed on. One coat of Duratex with a low nap roller, and then one coat with that weird high nap roller.

I gigged it that night while it was still drying!

ACMEDONE1.

ACMEDONE3.

This Acme's favorite accessory is the matching BFM omni 10.5

ACMEOMNI2.

thanks for looking!

2. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Durham's is rock hard putty, and you and them boys is rocking pretty hard too.

[​IMG]

Nice...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    looks great!

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Looks great and I'll bet that rig sounds killer.

5. ncbassman

ncbassman

Mar 20, 2010
    Eastern NC
    That looks really good.

6. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i just did this over the winter and turned an old beat up v4 cab into a bass cab.
    got the cab for $50 (empty) and it was a fun project. i just need to buy corners and a couple other pieces of hardware. maybe a vinyl cover too.

i'll just post the before/after pics unless anyone wants to see more
    IMG_1555.
    IMG_1581.
    IMG_1580.
    IMG_1578.

7. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Thanks for the comments. I dig the "cab rehab on a budget" threads.

JoeyJoejoe- Consider some small metal corners on that Ampeg... it'd look good, not cost much, and help protect the corners (as designed!).

I really like those "wood" cabs. There is something really classy about wood cabs with either oil or some nice poly/stain. It just gives a nice feel.

I have been planning on building a tiny 1x10 for the S2010 I have laying around. I think I'll finish it in stain and poly, black metal corners, simple strap handle... Yeah. I like it.

8. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

It sounds awesome for my desired tone and style. HOwever its a 4 ohm acme and an 8 ohm BFM, so I am sure my Gibson would not appreciate it if (ok, when) I pushed it hard and loud.

Eventually I will sell it off to fund some 3012LF loaded Titan 39's for the PA system.

9. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Thanks

It came out looking Awesome! Great job :bassist:

11. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Thanks James- Those Bags give me gas!

12. Stand that B2 on its end like it was designed and you'll like it even better!!! :)

Paul

13. You can get covers from Acme and protect your work during transit.

Paul

14. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

It spends most of its time on the "side", as you mention, so its taller. However, while the logo originally matches the tall profile, the handles and the crossover control plate most certainly dont. The original cab corners make it ambidextrous, so thats a draw.

While the benefit of getting those drivers more aligned may NOT be debatable, based on the conflicting characteristics mentioned above, the "design" is a bit of both. I think Andy hedged his bets on that.

Either way, I hear ya and agree.:D

15. Wait till ya stick another B2 on top of that one! You'll never go back!!!

Paul

16. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Great job on that b2. Looks real nice.