Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Cabinet Suggestion Challenge

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TyKao, Mar 21, 2004.

1. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Well, the 15" aluminum driver in my Hartke 2115 blew out again and I decided that you can force me to replace a driver 3 times, but 4 is just too much. So, I need some suggestions on a good cabinet to run with a Hartke 2000 head (for now). Maximum budget ~$600, but lower than that would be ideal, of course. I don't mine doing some belt-tightening if it will really pay off.

I do a lot of slap. I also play in drop-D very frequently, so a cabinet that can handle notes at least that low (if not lower) is pretty essential for me. Basically funk, metal, hip-hop, and blues. If you have a gig and it's not crap music, I'll play it. I've found myself playing in clubs, auditoriums, and outdoor gigs, so I can't easily decide on a maximum power limit. Tone is the top priority with durability being a close 2nd. I don't want to deal anymore with the kind of headaches this Hartke has given me.

I was thinking of the following options:
    - Ampeg SVT 410HE
    - Ampeg BSE 410H or HLF
    - Aguilar 112 (with another one to follow if my bass playing keeps up after I graduate)

Do you guys think these will do the job? The Avatars have a great price, but I'm worried that their relatively high tuning means they won't be able to handle a drop D very well. At the same time, I'm a passive 4 string guy, so I can imagine that I wouldn't be using a lot of extended range cabinets to their full potential. The Ampegs I've played through sound great and seem to take abuse very well, but the ported models are pricey and those are the only ones I've tried. The Aguilar is a 12" and I don't know how well those work on their own.

There's not a lot of good used gear available in stores near where I live, so I can't entertain suggestions about getting used top-drawer gear very easily.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmm. No ideas? I'm open to other brands too...

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Are you happy with the 1x15 sound? If so, why not try another 1x15 that handles more power? I don't slap, so I can't help.

However, Dave at Avatar Speakers is very good at answering questions. Ask him which setup is better for slap and the drop D tuning. He will have a better feel for his speakers response.

4. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    I would like more full range capability, which seems to rule out most 1X15 style cabs. I love the lows, but I find myself needing more than that for much of the music people want me to play.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Then a 2x12 will keep alot of the lows while giving you much more mids and some highs. For a real full range, you might try 2x12 and 2x10.