1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another callous thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by El_Duderino, Oct 8, 2013.

1. El_Duderino

El_Duderino

Aug 23, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    So, I just got my first DB two days ago (been playing EB for the past couple years), and after playing with some friends last night, got a sizable blister on my right index finger.

I've been looking over the various threads on this topic, and for every poster saying you should pop the blisters with a fine needle, there's another person saying you should leave them alone. For every person saying you should dry out your fingers as much as possible (to the point of dipping them in rubbing alcohol), there's another poster saying you should use a moisturizing lotion on your fingers.

Is there any real consensus on this? Since I don't know the people responding, I don't really know which opinions to give more weight to...

2. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

I suspect that you should really be asking this question on a medical site, but since you seem earnest and I appreciate your confusion, I'll tell you what I know.
    Once a blister starts, the outer skin will die. If you pop it with a pin, it will only speed the healing. The outer skin will fall off after a week or so and you'll be left with fresh, tender skin.
    Band-aids, superglue, etc, didn't help me much. I ultimately resorted to playing with other fingers when the injured finger was healing.
    If you play a bit every day, the liklihood of a blister is dramatically reduced. These days, I tend to practice nearly every day for 2 to 4 hours and I haven't seen a blister in years. The calluses are very thick however, and seem to thicken after every practice.
    The truth as I know it. There's no short cut.