Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another chance to spend someone elses money

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eljuapo, Jun 8, 2003.

1. *sigh* OK,

I just started a thread a few days ago about a choice between a Squier jazz and an SX jazz (which one was better, which one would you buy, so on and so forth).

Now I've really got a different delema.

Turns out the money I thought I was getting is more than I had thought. I'd like to use this money to buy new gear (I have alot of GAS =/ ).

I have about $450 (US). Should I get a couple of SX models and play with several different sounds? (something like say, a fretless, a 5-string, and a 4-string jazz) Or should I go for one, more expensive bass? (MIM Fender fretless jazz for instance, or something off of ebay in that range) Or should I go for the other end and pick up a better amp?

Right now I have an OLP Musicman (which I really dig the sound of, but maybe want to have the oportunity to get a different playability, ie. the jazz has a smaller neck and I love that) and for an amp I have just a 15w Fender frontman practice amp.

I don't gig, I mostly practice alone but I do go pretty often to practice with a drummer I know.

So...
    What do you all think?
    (I know, go with what feels right to me. But I do want your opinions cause the sum of your knowledge is MUCH greater that mine!)

2. If you want a jazz bass for $450, look on ebay for japanese Fenders. There are usually a couple fretted and fretless ones on there. MIJs are about as good as MIAs, but cost a lot less.

3. Get a better amp ASAP.

4. Go for an amp....

combo will suit you well if you dun gig.

(go for about 70-120 watts)

and...if you have more,get a SX

5. I may go for an amp, I can pick one up from Ebay *fairly* cheap.

Still looking for other opinions.

6. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    I think plan A is to get a amp. Hartke's are pretty good and can be cheap. You could also get a Behringer, but i bought one from musiciansfriend.com and sometimes it would buzz very loudly on E and F notes. The rest of the time the tone was great. But if you want a behringer, just in case, make sure you get it from somewhere you can return it. Not eBay.

Good luck. :bassist:

7. another vote for an amp

8. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Amp all the way. You'll be kicking yourself if the need to be in a band ever arises.

9. I actually did decide.

I bought both!

I was able to pick up a used Crate BX-160 combo for $175 and a '99 Fender Standard Jazz (arctic white) for $200.
    Both pieces are in EXCELENT condition, the bass more than the amp. So, for $375 I got pretty much exactly what I wanted.

I have to say, used equiptment is the way to go. I was able to take a look at the equiptment before I bought it because the guys were local and that was a huge help.

10. ARRGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Another guy snatches a $200 Fender jazz before me! :spit: Man I'm lookin' in all the wrong places! :bawl:

Just jokin'! Congrats on the finding the gear you really wanted at the right price!

I got next! :)

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You done good. Congrats, man!