1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Church Bass thread

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jeb, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    OK, with all the church threads going I'm just going to throw this one out there. How do church folks feel about their P&W members playing in bars on Friday and/or Saturday nights anyway? Would that be OK with them? As a church bassist, how would you feel if your Pastor or other parishioner walked into your venue while you were on stage rockin' Brick House with all the kids dancing like they do?

I'm genuinely curious as to the forum's thoughts. Thanks.

2. I personally would not play in a bar or any place of the sorts for 2 reasons. The first reason is what if I'm in there playing my cover tunes to a bunch of people drinking and carrying on and someone notices me and then visits my church on Sunday and sees me up there playing? I don't believe that would be a good witness to that person or anyone else in my church, especially the younger kids who know that I play in a place like that. I'm kind of looked up to as an example in my church.

The second reason would be that when I got saved the Lord took a bunch of things out of my life that were no good, however, He didn't take music out of my life. In fact, He's actually enhanced my level of understanding music and playing and has also given me new outlets to play in like my christian band and 2 different churches. I've since dedicated my playing and musical talent in general to Him and wouldn't sell it out for a few extra bucks on the weekend. If I need more money the Lord will make a better way for me to get it.

By the way, these are just my beliefs and my convictions and I welcome any comments or questions about how I believe.:bassist:

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The other guys in my "church band" have also done the bar thing. I don't think anyone cares. If they do, they aren't saying anything.

4. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    it depends on if you want to make a living playing or not. if so, good luck staying away from the bar gigs.

5. I have never played bass in a church band but i attended a church where some of the members also played in a cover band ( many time at a bar) on the weekends and yes the members of the church knew about it and would sometimes come to see them play. It not about the where you play it the who, if your a follower of Christ who also plays in a cover band, than thats who you are. Big whoop. Judge now my friend. well that was about 2 1/2 cents worth but on well/

6. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    Capnsandwich et al...

I am likely to never make a living playing... I am a music teacher, and I like what I do... I have been involved in church music for ages, but just started playing bass at church a couple months ago... I have only been playing bass since November... But I have a fair amount of musical experience: Brass quintet & chamber ensemble gigs, weddings, museums, etc. But I am in the bass playing for the fun and the love... do you do any playing outsidea church Cap? What kinda non-bar playing do you guys do? I am on vacation right now (And getting to do some playing with my dad & folks at his church, lotta fun), but when i get home, I want to find some guys like me to jam with... maybe even the band thing. I like basically any style of music, and just like to play... Just curious guys... I thought this kinda went with the thread...

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I play in a bar band. I relieve the bass guys in the church band. I find the praise band to be a lot of fun, and it is fulfilling, but it's not going to finance any equipment. And my pastor has been out to the bar to see us. He doesn't stay too long or get too crazy, but there's no reason a pastor can't go to a bar. Jesus was seen in the company of people of ill repute all the time. Heck, he even made some mighty fine wine!

8. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    Oh Boy. One of my buttons has been pushed. I'll try and behave.

Isn't it funny that once again it's the musicians who seem to be held to a different standard(notice I didn't say higher) than the rest of the world.

Factory worker, secretary, policemen, doctor, lawyer, indian chief, they all have to, and are expected, to work and interact in a unsaved environment with unsaved people, yet whoa Nelly Mr/Ms Musician, what do you think you're DOIN' working in that environment? Some of us are our own worst enemies and a more of a hindrance to the Kingdom than a help.

I could go on and on here but can't and probably shouldn't.
    Consider this: Most of the guy in my band are saved but we look forward to the opportunities to "sneak up" on the rest.
    Also, every so often someone will approach me after a show and say something like: "hey you look like you're having so much fun- how come you look so happy up there?" If that isn't an open door, I don't know what is.

I'm used to other (insert "real Holy" here) people saying stuff like this, but when other saved musicians are feeling the same way I get a little discouraged

JKT :rollno:

9. I do both. I'm the main bass player at church and I have a funk/jazz/jam band that I play with as well as various fill-in and session gigs. None of the other guys in the jam band are Christians and it affords me the opportunity to share with them because they sure aren't coming out to church on Sunday mornings. Other guys in our praise band also play in rock bands and the sax player plays with a variety of jazz groups around town.

Jesus hung out with drunkards and prostitutes all the time, he even went to at least one prostitute's house for dinner. One of the charges against him was that he was a "friend of sinners".

Now, if you're a recovering alcoholic and just can't be around it that's a different story, but I'm not and I don't feel it hinders my witness at all - if anything it enhances it. I also have a beer or two when I play and I smoke cigars - although our town is now non-smoking even in bars, so that's a non-issue now.

I do tell people up front that there are some songs I just won't play, and we all have veto power on lyrics on original material - I don't write overtly Christian lyrics, they don't write overtly anti-Christian or sexually suggestive lyrics, which isn't really a problem anyway. We're a mature band and we tend to be more mature in our writing styles.

Just my .02

10. There are factory workers, policemen, doctors lawyers etc etc. that stop working at their jobs because it conflicts too much with their spiritual goals and callings.

Some christians feel a strong sense of responsibility to be a good example , some have it required of them by their job or position or roles in life, in any case, few christian musicians would avoid playing in a bar because it allows them to look down on those who do.

Most of the opinions here are true to some extent, and it is unfortunate that there are not more venues for musicians to play at. There is no reason for any of us to disrespect each other regardless of which side of the arguement you may come down on.

I have a non-musical job that provides me with enough income that I do not have to play bars to make a living, I am not a late night person nor a drinker and the music I play is not primarily dance music, and yet I have still on occasion played at clubs (Pubs/Restaurants, etc.).

I tend to agree with JKT that you need to be who you are wherever you are, but be consistant, and give thought to your ways and see if you think they are what God would want you to do.

Enough pontificating! As to the OP and a direct reponse to the issue of playing in a church on the worship team and whether it would interfere with or be inconsistent with being a bar-room musician I would say not automatically, but you might try to be sensitive to the fact that people may look at you as an example (whatever responsibility that may impose upon you is between you and God, and probably the leadership of the church).

11. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I used to play for church, and the folks -and I think the leadership- knew that I play at bars, and that the drummer is a bouncer for a blues club. It's a very Bible-believing church, and no one seems to mind.

It's more about the conduct than location. Jesus hung out with prostitutes, so I think he would have not problem with bars. Jesus wouldn't act like a donkeys-behind however.

When I go to gigs at bars, I drink moderately, watch my language, try to behave in an upright manner, etc. Long and short, I'm no where near perfect at it, but I try to make my behavior the same in church, work, gigs, home, bars etc...

Note: At the gigs I play, the music is the focus. It's a "show" I try to avoid the kind of gigs where the music is just the background music to alcohlolism. It's a fine line, but one worth treading in my opinion, and I know that I am only 25 now, and another decade or so of acquired wisedom and experience may change my opinion in these matters.

12. I used to be totally against playing in bars. The older I've gotten and the more mature in my faith, the more open I am to lots of different ideas, including playing music in bars.

13. so eveyone here is basically usuing the whole "jesus hung out with prostitutes" as an excuse for playing in bars and other un-Godly places....... but what u dont mention is that while He was "hanging out" he was witnessing and performing miracles and basically saving them....... so if ur gonna play in a bar and justify it, u better sing only music that can glorify God, or after performing invite everyone to ur church. Otherwise ur only a hypocrite, and u'd be better off quitting the church band, because you are a disgrace to God, and a bad spiritual influence to every one who looks up to you. Over all you are giving satan a way into the church.
    "you are who you hang out with"
    im done.
    Sarah.

14. We as Christians are to be an example to all the people by the way we behave. I think this means wherever we go and whatever we do. You can be an example in a bar as well as in church. You never know when you might open a door to someone who would never think of going to church on Sunday, and I'm not talking about preaching, just by enjoying yourself in public. Being a Christian doesn't mean you have to go through life in seclusion.

15. A: Jesus was being their friend first, then he was healing and preaching. And what was he preaching? Love and forgiveness, not "You evil prostitute".
    B: So, God can't be glorified with certain kinds of music?
    C: I do let people know that I play at church and they should come check it out because it's a wonderful place, not judgemental like I suspect your church is based on your response here.
    D: I tend to think I'm a pretty positive spiritual influence to those who look up to me, including the kids I teach who all know I play in bars on weekends.
    E: Giving Satan a way into the church? Are you serious? How about taking the Dr. to the sick?
    F: At least use reasonably decent grammar when attacking people.

16. PhilRitter21

PhilRitter21

Apr 23, 2007
    Toledo Ohio
    Do you have a problem with people playing at bars?... or just when they say "Jesus hung out with prostitues" to justify it?

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

'Nuff said! I argue this with folks all the time.

18. being friends cool, but friendship has to come with the understanding that you love all sinners, but as a Christian ur goal is to save as many as possible.

if ur basically telling people to get up and dance or go home with whoever, or anything that goes against the Bible you are NOT glorifying God.

how many of them actually do go to curch then? how many get saved? if its none, then ur way isn't working.

as far as an influence. wat if one of those kids decides to go see u, and while they are there they notice the drinking, smoking, and sex going on around them( by sex im not being literal, but more like sexual conduct) then they realize thats more exciting than church, hhhmmmm...... then maybe they'll get drunk and knock up some girl.... good job, ur a great role model.

obviously you never heard of being possed it is real, and it happens to more people than you'd think. you think everything is fine and nothings wrong, until u decide to ditch church all together and turn ur back on God, who would Never do that to you.

p.s. as far as my grammar, unless u are my english teacher, which i know for a fact you are not, dont try to correct my grammar.

19. i have issues with both, playing in bars is in my opion hypocracy...... justifying it with"jesus hung out with prostitutes" is basically saying, i can do whatever i want because God will love me anyways, which is just wrong.............

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just wondering what your bar/club experience is? At your age (16), you should not be in a bar. Secondly, a good % of bar environments do not have the type of environment that you are describing! So either you've been in the wrong type of bar or are just grossly misinformed!