Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another classic " eden eq" post

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Apr 21, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    here the deal...i have an eden wt-600, bridged mono intomy accugroove tri 210l,

basses - f bass studio 5 string (active)
    rob allen mb2 5 string

my problem is, the output limit on my amp flicks when i attack the string etc a bit harder, like "popping" while playing a slap style groove, or when i get really articulate in my finger style playing

i'm really trying to avoid this..

now, i keep the eq pumped on my f bass, and i pretty much try to compensate on my eden head itself...by keeping the mids flat, or generally clicking them to the left a notch or 2...but i still boost on the 800lhz range area....does this make sense?

i have the enhance around 9.... the bass knob is 2 clicks below flat, and low para thing, is all the way to the right, and the low end bost thing is at about 12 30 or 1

my gain is around 1 30 or 2....

my ideal way to have my eq set up is to be able to have that really nice punch articulate sound while laying fingerstyle over the bridge pickup, but also be able to have a deadly slap tone (like alain caron) without having that flippin red light come on....i know it doens't really mean i'm screwing things up, but i get this mentality that i am..

tell me what u think, i'm pretty sure the wt-600 has generally the same kinda eq section as the Nav pre so give me some ideas peeps

thansk!

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    What's your master volume set to?

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    master is not loud at all, i never usually put it past 12

4. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    My God! That's your problem I am guessing. "Gain at 1:30 to 2" and the Master at 12. Your overloading it, again I am guessing. I have my wt800's Gain at 1:00 and my master at 9:00. Try bringing that Master down and see if that fixes it. I

f it does, I would suggest adding another cab to move some more air.

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    well
    what are ur eq settings at?

gimme an idea of what u are doing....

6. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    My Setup:
    WT800(run stereo into), 210XLT(4ohm), 215XLT(4ohm) or
    WT800(run mono, not bridged, into), 410XLT(4ohm) or
    WT800(run mono, not bridged, into), 210XLT(4ohm) or
    WT800(run mono, not bridged, into), 215XLT(4ohm) or
    WT800(run bridged into) 410XST(8ohm)
    Spector US JH5 EX (mainly)

My EQ's
    All EQ flat, my Master at 9:00, Gain at 1:30 and enhance at 8:30.

I sometimes just run my 210XLT with these setting and it takes it like a 2 dollar whore. I did run my Master hotter once at about 11 with the 410XST only(bridged) and the same thing happened, Output Clip Light Illumination.

7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    hm..........

why do think it limitts like that?

8. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    You are pushing so much through the capacitor it's choking. That is why they have those little LED's. What kinda music are you playing? In a band setting? Are you fighting with Drums/Guitar Egos?

I will try it running stereo at that volume this afternoon and see if it does it.

9. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
  10. As in a previous reply, it sounds like you are pushing the amp too hard... probably by trying to get too much sound out of a cab that's a little too small for the volume you are trying to play. If I remember my Eden facts correctly, you can only run the bridged 600 into an 8ohm minimum load, so you are going to have a hard time adding another cab. Sound like you need a 212 or 410 cab at 8ohms and that should 'fix' the problem (i.e., allow you to run the amp below 'clipping' and still get more volume than you are getting now).

11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    my 2 10 cab i have now handles 600 watts with ease....
    and i can switch it between 4 and 8 ohms

i dont really think its anything to do with the cab, its just a matter of dfinginw where i need to place my eq

12. The amount of wattage a cab handles has very little to do with it. The physics of the thing just limits the amount of air a 210 (even the really nice 210 you have) can push. AS an example, all other things being equal, 300 watts into a 410 will sound much louder than 600 watts into a 210.

That ohmage switch is cool. So, you could get another of the 210's and run the 600 stereo, 4ohms per side. That would put out A LOT more sound than you are putting out now.

13. PS Regarding EQ, trying to push a lot of low frequency through that small cab is probably resulting in you increasing the bass control on your bass and/or amp to compensate for the small cab at high volumes. I've been there. It's a little counterintuitive, but you are much more likely to 'clip' the amp by trying to push a small cab versus getting the same DB out of a larger cab (or two smaller cabs). I think if you add that second 210, you will be able to reduce your low end EQ, resulting in the amp not running out of juice. Good luck! :)

14. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i dont want to run another cab though, thats the whole point....

and i'm not pushing low frequency at all, i hardly ever pump the bass, infact, i never do, i actually cut back...

its in the treble or mids or something...i dunno

i might even put tape over the limit lights so i dont even have to look at them

15. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I think the point that was trying to be made was, getting another cabinet would push more air and allow you to back off on the gain. Pushing air is better than pushing the amp. You'd be amazed what adding a 112 would do. The high frequency thing you mentioned would make the light come on for sure. I had some GK cabs that would look like a fireworks display at shows because they couldn't handle the "POPPING of the G" that I was doing.

All said I don't think your going to ruin anything by the light coming on intermittently.

16. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I tried the my WT800 at your settings with my Euro 6LX running stereo into my 210xlt(4ohms) and 215xlt(4ohms) and the light didn't come on, it was incredibly loud though.

17. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Where is your cab placed? If you use it on a crate or chair, try put it on the floor to allow coupling and increase percieved volume/fullness. Then you can ease back your amp. It helps with my WT300 + 1210...

18. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004