Another College Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jade, Apr 17, 2005.

1. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    If you gradulated from college:
    what was your major?
    What are you doing now?
    How are you using you degree?
    What is the path that you took to get you were you are?

If you are in college:
    What are you majoring in?
    What do you plan on doing with your degree?
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My degree was Accounting. I didn't like it in school and hated it even more when I was practicing as a corporate bean counter. So, I got my MBA. Now I work with ERP systems, "about an inch away" from accounting, and love it.

But, keep this in mind: college is not meant to be a trade school. Go there to expand your mind. Figure out what you want to do after you graduate.;) Studies show most people graduating college today switch careers between 4 and 5 times before they retire.
  3. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    im in college my degree is computer science and when i finish i aim to look for a job in computer graphics/computer animation.
  4. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I graduated in December with a BS in Geography from PSU. It's funny, I kind of fell into the major, but I loved it. I was mostly undecided until I had to declare in my junior year, so I enrolled in the statistics program. I struggled with the supporting calc courses and ended up getting booted after 4 semesters. My option with stat was geography, and I had already taken a number of geography courses so I decided that was the way to go. It took me over a year to get my GPA high enough to officially enroll in geography, but I was finally able to do it right before the Fall of 2004 semester...the semester I graduated!

It's only been 6 months, but I've only had one good lead in my field. Right now I'm just looking for something so I can pay the bills comfortably. I plan on getting a post-baccalaureate certificate in GIS or Economic and Urban Development or both from PSU's World Campus. I'd be able apply credits from either towards a Master program.
  5. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I majored in music, specifically a B.A. in Music Composition and Performance. Naturally, this worked out so well that I'm working as an electrician. The good news is that I use the skills I learned in college every day with my bass, as well as other instruments and the occasional arrangement. The bad news is that this day is interrupted for 8+ hours when I'm an electrician. Further good news? I make more as an electrician than most bassists make, um, bassing. Further bad news? I'd rather be dirt poor, sleeping in a van and waking up to practice and go to another underpaid, underappreciated gig. My wife disagrees with this notion, so I go to a construction site :meh: .

As a compromise, 2006 will see me back in school to learn Electronics Engineering. While working for a local recording studio and maintaining my band's equipment because we can't afford a tech, I have discovered a love of building and designing the gear that makes modern music, and will focus my efforts on that, God willing :D .
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    1. My major was Painting.
    2. Right now I'm a stay-at-home father-have been for the past 16 months. Before that, I was a self-employed artist, although I still make some occasional money from painting.
    3. I used the skills I obtained in college in every painting, drawing, sketch, or doodle I make.
    4. Graduated, worked for a year while painting, moved into an artist residence building, became a gallery coordinator, made some contacts and showed in a lot of exhibitions, moved to Ohio and showed some out there, had a daughter and moved back to CT. Right now I'm waiting to get my own studio again, as I can't really paint where I am.
  7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    what was your major?
    What are you doing now?
    How are you using you degree?
    What is the path that you took to get you were you are?

1. I have a BA and an MA in history

2. I am teaching at a number of schools as an adjunct social science instructor

3. Well, most of the skills I learned I am teaching to the next generation.

4. I left my first university to be a rock star. That did not work out nearly as well as I thought it would. Since I had a love of history, had experience with theatre in high school, and am an unabashed goofball, I thought teaching would be a natural vocation for me. I started out working in special education classrooms, and then made the jump to a local community college seven years ago.
  8. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    I'm doing the pre-med thing, specifically, my undergrad major is Exercise Physiology, then its off to get an MD degree, then residency and what not. I plan on specializing in sports medicine/ orthopedic surgery. I should be just getting out of school by the time i'm 95 or so :eyebrow: .

9. PreMed ( Only 3 years)
    Chef/owner catering company
    Helps to answer some of the more scientific "Jepordy" Questions.
    I worked as a cook all through school. When I decided Med or any scientific field wasn't for me, I went to culinary school(18 months) and been working and sweating my butt off ever since. Yeah I look back and think boy I could be making more money now , but I'm happy....wouldn't change a thing :)
  10. via satellite

via satellite

Sep 16, 2003
    If you are in college:

Majoring in political science, plan on taking a year or two as a legal temp while playing with my band, and then going to law school.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    1) Jack-all squat.
    2) See above.
  12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Sophomore at Baylor Univ (aka The Greatest Place on Earth), and my major is political science with a minor in economics.
  13. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If you are in college:

I'm currently majoring in psychology, though I'm thinking about picking up an associate's degree in criminal justice. I was originally thinking about getting an associate's in business management, but after some consideration, the crim. j. degree seems to be a more practical compliment to my psych degree.

First I'm going to go to graduate school to earn a doctrate (I'm going to bypass the master's). I'm not exactly what I want to do, but I'm learning more towards a career in applied psychology. I originally wanted to go strictly into research, but now I don't really know if I want to. Being a professor sounds like it's a ton of BS. I may use the criminal justice degree as a spring board into profiling or social/parole work.
  14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    If you are in college:

Urban Studies with a minor in Economics

That's a good question.
  15. I am currently a freshman undergrad at James Madison University. I am am an ISAT major, which stands for Integrated Science And Technology, which is a unique major at JMU. It is essentially an applied science/engineering etc program with various sectors. The idea behind ISAT is that instead of focusing in one particular science/area, you learn about many different areas to become a well-rounded graduate.

I am not sure what I plan on doing with my degree, but there is a good chance that I will attend graduate school. I am going to be participating in an internship this summer with the National Republican Senatorial Committee, which may open up some opportunities. Over future summers, I plan on applying for ISAT-related internships.
  16. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    My degree is in Criminal Justice. It entitles me to work in the Criminal Justice field. Don't do it. It sucks. Thank you. That is all.
  17. Currently undeclared, but this is my plan...

Major: Entrepreneurship/Management

Minor: Finance

Why: I want to run my own company.
  18. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Majored in Electrical Engineering, graduated 2004

Currently working for the US Army Night Vision Labs.

Engineering is fun. :cool:
  19. Craigle

Craigle "Careful with that joke, it's an antique!"

Mar 10, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Right now, I'll graduate with a degree in General Studies and (hopefully) a minor in English and History in December. (Looks like I'm the only one with one of those).

After that, I'm currently torn between going to grad school for Urban Studies, or pursuing an IT job with a decent sized company.

While I love working with computers and networks, I'm currently leaning toward the Urban Studies route, because something about that just seems to peak my interests.
  20. Right now I'm double-majoring in Psychology and English. After graduation I plan to get my Master's degree in developmental psych and work in school psychology or a related field.