Another Combo to hold me over...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayerjojo, Nov 4, 2002.

1. I currently have a fairly crappy but loud enough 15" combo amp. (160W) I'm not going to be able to get a better rig until I get my tax returns, so I want to get another combo amp, just to give me a little extra sound, with some smaller speakers to give me better high end sound than a 15" can. I'll probably just buy a used off ebay, but what do you guys recommend as for as brand goes? Thanks.
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    When are you expecting your tax returns? Unless you're going to be waiting a long time, I'd think you would probably be throwing your money away to get a second combo.

How about a couple of new set of strings instead? Even through a 'crappy' combo, they'll give you a bit more zing and that will give you more dollars to upgrade your setup when the time comes.

Alternatively, could you hook a new cabinet up to the amp in your combo? Ideally as an extension cab but even as a replacement could do. That way, when your $$$ come in you can then get a new head to go with the cab and you haven't wasted money on the amp section of another combo.

YMMV, but just some thoughts.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SWR Super Redhead.
  4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000