Another comparison thread: G&L Tribute or Spector Legend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crescent Seven, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Since I can't seem to get my hands on a G&L Tribute anywhere near Denver, I'm putting my choice up against the Spector Legend, which I also like.
    I'm only posting this because for some stupid reason none of the G&L dealers within 100 miles of Denver seems to want to stock anything...same problem I'm having with Laklands.:mad:
    I can't compare what I can't play, and the Spector seems to be a fine bass...
  2. I guess that what I've heard is true...:rolleyes:
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Both good basses, i like the G&l a bit more though, just because i dont like the spector tone lately.
  4. I've heard great things about the Tributes, but I'll be damned if I can get my hands on one. I'd have to order one online and cross my fingers that it's what I want.
  5. I wouldn't suggest doing that.

I've looked at tons of basses, and amps on line and thought they looked great. Talked to people about them, and they said they were great. Found that "Great thing" in a store and hated it.

No matter what you're looking at, someone out there is going to like it, and talk it up, but that doesn't mean you'll like it.

Don't buy it until you try it!!!
  6. I've played both and preferred the Legend.

It could dial in a lot of really nice, active-esque tones that sounded very much like any instrument equipped with EMGs would.

The G&L... was not my cup of tea, both in terms of construction, and tonality. I do however really dig the G&L precision bass.
  7. This is pretty much my motto as well. At least if I buy the Spector from Guitar Center and I find out I absolutely can't stand it, they'll give me my money back.:meh:
  8. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    IMHO the Spector is a great bass; EMG tone is not for everyone so try before you buy. The CS at Spector is also top notch. Good luck with your hunt.
  9. I like the body design of the Legend; being a Fender banger from way back, to call it ergonomic would be an understatement.:)
  10. Bought the Spector tonight. Legend 5 string.

I went and played it to see how it sounded while sitting on a stack of $100 bills. Sounded great.:)

I still need to put the DR's the gave me on there and set it up to my exacting standards :)rolleyes: ), but I'm stoked.
  11. You'll be really happy with it.

I'm looking into (for future purposes) a Legend 6 string.

They really are excellent instruments for the money.
  12. Found out quick what a dead battery sounds like in an active system...:meh:
    I like the curvature of the body; I'm a tubby bastard and it fits real snug.:)
  13. Finally got it set up how I like it, had to raise the neck pickup a touch.

Here's a clip