Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Cort Curbow owner...but a lucky one!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johannes, May 3, 2001.

1. Hi !
    Might not be a big surprise but I've joined the club of composite junkees. Well...actually I already am, because my main basss is an Ergodyne 605. Now, I've ordered a Cort Curbor 5 fretless in red, not really the color I've been dreaming of, BUUUUT : I am lucky to get a 5-string WITH Bartollini Pickup! Normally, them fivers have MightyMites, but not this one (though it's the only one I could find anywhere in Germany!!!).
    I hop Luis will bake a cake (!?!) for me, I guess he'll be happy! At least I'm willing to discuss his "composite is the future"-thing, I think there's a lot of truth about it!
    Ok, enough of that "teatime-talking"...

Johannes

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I haven't seen the Cort Curbows yet, but there's a store in my area that carries other entry level Corts. I think they're trying to poise themselves as the alternative to Ibanez, and by the playability of what I checked out, they're doing a pretty good job. Congrats on the new bass. Let us know how you like it when you get it.

Will C.:cool:

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Congrats!
    I wont bake a cake for you...
    I may cook a Hamburger if thats ok.

Strange that you got it in red, because I thought that the Fretless only came in "Burled walnut" Finish.
    Good thing that you got it with a Bartolini.

4. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Nice score! The Bart is a huge upgrade IMO. Is it like the Cort shown at the Bartolini web site?

5. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Congratulations!

My red Curbow is in the mail right now. We can bake each other cakes!

I didn't get one with Barts, but for $225 its not so bad.

6. dang! Where'd you get a Curbow for $225? That's like half what I've seen cubows go for around Des Moines!

7. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I got it on eBay from what was an eBay auction based business (Bargain Oasis) so I assume they had no idea how much it was really worth. Kind of like a pawn shop, but on eBay.

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I tried these out and had a hard time playing seated. How about you?

Congrats by the way.

9. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Yeah the body shaped leaves a lot to be desired. The little nook where you would place it on your leg sitting is too small and pretty far back on the body.

10. Yeeeaaaa, I got it yesterday (1 day delivery period!!!!) and I must say that it's an awsome instrument. IMO it's very well worked and the bart pickup is awsome. This bass growls like hell, and it's one of the kind that has the heavily quoted "mwaa" in a VERY strong way. Any note you play simply sounds fretless (wow, what a unbelievable thing on a fretless bass!).
    Hamburgers are bad, remember the mad-cow-desease going on here in europe!!!
    But yes, it's the color shown on the Bartolini website, fretless 5 but colored like the fretted 5.

Johannes

PS:
    Big Wheel: I've payed about $500 for an instrument that is of far better quality than f.e. Ibanez basses in that price range ! The only thing is the electronics, noisy and everything seems to be put loose into the control cavity which is not a problem, the battery has it's own one.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, I live in South America.. and I could send you a Hamburger made of "Sober Cow"

12. Luis, I'd say it would be more suitable to send me your curbow 6, because the luthite (It really DOES smell, al least a bit) has twisted me a bit. I NEED MORE !!!!! for example a fretted 6! ;)

Johannes

13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    It smells sometimes, specially when new..
    But you can get addicted to that smell...
    !!!
    And NO.. im not going to send it to you.
    :D

14. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Luis,

Have you checked your PMs lately? I sent you one the other day.

15. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    I have a Cort Curbow 6 for sale. Check it out at Basses for sale. $500/offer I ship. Red/like new. -SLH